Tax Manager Consultant (Maternity Leave Coverage)
Primary Purpose of Position:
We are currently seeking a Manager, Tax to oversee the Canadian corporate income tax function. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position will play a critical role in the Canadian tax compliance, provision, audits, planning, and reporting requirements of Sinopec Canada. This role is critical in influencing, motivating and empowering employees to contribute towards the success and effectiveness of the organization, through facilitation of problem solving and analysis to achieve results.
This is a one year temporary position.
- Provide leadership and support to manage the performance, development and engagement of the Taxation team;
- Establish clear accountability in team member’s roles and ensure team and induvial KPIs are aligned;
- Support, drive, and influence change in the team and organization;
- Review and ensure that filing of corporate and partnership income tax returns, elections and remittances are completed in a timely and accurate manner;
- Coordinate with the Corporate Finance team and business units to obtain tax reporting and tax compliance information and assist with providing tax guidance to business units, as necessary;
- Review Canadian tax provisions on a quarterly basis as well as annual tax disclosures for external financial statement purposes;
- Prepare, review and co-ordinate responses to be provided to government tax authorities arising from tax audits;
- Coordinate with internal and external auditors to review quarterly and year-end working papers as well as supporting documentation;
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s internal controls in relation to tax and relevant accounting and tax policies;
- Research and prepare technical memos in support of tax technical positions taken in the financial statements and statutory filings;
- Stay informed on the latest tax developments and issues that impact the organization such as changes in legislation, court decisions, rulings, etc.;
- Prepare tax forecast; as required.
Position Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Demonstrated leadership experience including multi-level influencing, the ability to think strategically, lead change, lead and develop others, and hold themselves and others accountable;
In-depth background in corporate tax compliance and tax accounting processes;
Knowledge of financial reporting requirements;
Knowledge of accounting standards related to accounting for income taxes under IAS 12;
Experience in dealing with tax authorities and financial statement auditors;
Collaboratively resolves issues with internal departments and external stakeholders;
Ability to manage and prioritize a demanding workload in a deadline-driven environment;
Ability to problem solve and effectively identify issues to develop and implement solutions for resolution;
High level of detail and accuracy in all tasks.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 8 to 12 years tax experience specializing in Corporate Tax in a public accounting firm or publicly traded company;
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA or CPA);
- Completion of CICA In-Depth Tax Course preferred;
- Strong working knowledge of computerized accounting systems and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and Taxprep; knowledge of Qbyte would be considered an asset.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If you are looking for meaningful new challenges and have a solutions-oriented attitude, we want to hear from you. Join Sinopec Canada for a workplace filled with diversity, rewarding work, and opportunities to develop new skills and grow your career.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the careers section of our website, www.sinopeccanada.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest.