The Accountant – Level I position will rotate through various functions in the NAEPI finance group during the four month contract term. The role will assist with month end and year end closing activities including open PO analysis, cost accruals, account reconciliations, vendor reconciliations and results analysis. The role will assist with preparation of working papers, public financial document and will interact with internal management and external auditors in relation to year end activities.
NAEPI financials are publically listed and are prepared in accordance with United States general accepted accounting principles (“US GAAP”) with common shares traded on the New York stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange.
NAEPI is a CPA Alberta Pre-Approved Program for practical experience.
Perform assigned monthly, quarterly and annual accounting period closing activities in accordance with NAEPI Financial Statement Close and Reporting Policy, United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”) and appropriate procedures.
- Work within the framework of the Operational Accounting and Financial Reporting team.
- Complete monthly cost accruals and analysis.
- Maintain accurate and timely processing of all transactions.
- Work with Corporate and Divisional Finance to reconcile and analyze the company’s consolidated balance sheet.
- Prepare, analyze, and report project financial information relating to revenue and costs.
- Provide complete, accurate, timely and effective analysis and reporting.
- Research and respond to queries on financial matters.
- Coordinate efforts with accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll to resolve project related issues as they arise.
- Prepare audit working paper files and communicate with Finance team members and auditors during year-end audits and quarter-end reviews.
- Assist with the preparation of aspects of the consolidated financial statements and other public financial documents.
- Prepare and/or assist in ad hoc and routine analysis and reporting of transactions for Finance department management.
- Actively participate in department initiatives.
- 1- 2 years accounting experience
- Experience with a publicly listed company is preferred
- Industrial construction and/or mining industry experience an asset
- Completion of post-secondary education (degree or diploma)
- Actively enrolled in a Canadian professional accounting program (CA, CGA, CMA)
- Is able to handle and manage confidential information.
- Sees projects through to the finish and is responsive and timely in follow-up with coworkers.
- Experience with JD Edwards is considered an asset
- Excellent analytical and Microsoft Excel skills
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure and adjust to changing priorities.
- Detail oriented, organized and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Performs self-review of work.
- Ability to maintain a consistently high level of productivity & accuracy.
- Ability to assess and recommend efficiencies to current processes.
- Strong documentation and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Initiative to learn & take on new responsibilities