Legal Aid Alberta (LAA) is a not-for-profit organization that assists Albertans facing legal issues by providing timely and independent advice and representation. We work with each client to assess their needs, help them navigate their journey through the justice system, and deal with their legal challenges.
Our services are professional, effective and accessible. Our integrated approach fosters the well-being of those we serve by enabling lasting resolution of their legal issues.
We make a difference in the lives of Alberta and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services. By supporting better outcomes for our clients, we positively impact the individual, the communities in which they live, the justice system and the taxpayer.
Vice President, Finance & Technology
We are currently seeking an experienced Accounting professional with a strong background in Information Technology management to provide leadership, direction, and oversight to all Finance & Technology services within Legal Aid Alberta (LAA), including Finance & Accounting, Information Technology, Purchasing, and Facilities/Infrastructure Management.
This includes ensuring superior service delivery, coaching and guidance to LAA’s business leaders to assist them in achieving their business goals, objectives, and mandate in alignment with LAA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- As a member of the Executive team, lead the implementation of LAA’s vision, mission, values and goals and participate in strategic planning and execution.
- Collaborate in developing the respective business unit’s objectives, policies and plans and ensure strategic alignment with organizational direction.
- Make recommendations to the President and CEO on LAA’s strategy, governance, organizational structure and change management initiatives.
- Present the organization business plan and ongoing financial and operational results of LAA to the Board of Directors.
- Interface with the Board of Directors Finance & Audit Committee and lead the year-end audit process.
- Plan and oversee LAA’s budget preparation, expenditures, and Key Performance Indicators, and provide regular reporting on statistical, financial, and business results.
- Develop, maintain and uphold a strong system of policies, procedures and internal controls throughout the organization.
- Take full responsibility for the management of the corporate operating and capital budgets.
- Provide vision, leadership and oversight of the Information Technology group, ensuring enterprise information systems meet the current and future information and technology needs for LAA.
- Responsible for oversight and management of LAA’s Risk Management strategies including business continuity planning and disaster recovery.
- Manage, coach, develop and mentor all individuals in Finance & Technology, and create and foster a cluster or continuous improvement and responsive client service.
- Direct the development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and financial information to appraise operating results in terms of costs, budgets, policies of operations and trends.
- Identify and pursue cost-saving opportunities.
- Identify and lead the development/implementation of Strategy, best practices, and process improvements in Finance & Technology.
- Identify service delivery issues and trends, and subsequently develop and coordinate the implementation of strategic initiatives in partnership with LAA’s business units and other stakeholder organizations.
Qualifications and Competencies:
A. Education and Work Experience:
A recognized Accounting Designation (CPA, CA, CMA or CGA)
Significant experience leading corporate services operations including (but not limited to) Finance & Accounting, IT, Purchasing and Facilities Management
A proven record of strong leadership
Ideally a minimum of 10 years senior management experience in the delivery of corporate services
Sound background in Information Technology systems and risk management is preferred
Extensive knowledge of strategy development and implementation methodologies
Thorough understanding of best practices in leadership, communication, change management, finance & accounting, information technology, human resources, purchasing, project management, benchmarking, and performance measurement
Demonstrated experience in developing, maintaining, and upholding a strong system of policies, procedures and internal controls throughout an organization
Computer literate in MS Office package (Word Perfect, Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook) and databases
Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
Strong sense of commitment to the position and to LAA’s Mission, Vision, and Values
Advanced interpersonal skills with a proven track record for listening and building positive relationships, which flow into creating effective partnerships with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders
Effective negotiation skills
Able to inspire others to perform at a higher level and to embrace change
Capability to solve the toughest and most complex of problems
Effective risk management and crisis management skills
Strong business and political acumen
Capable of developing growth in self and others
If the above description matches your qualifications and skill sets, please forward your resume quoting posting number LAA 16-39 to email@example.com by 8:00 am January 9, 2017.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.