DESCRIPTION: This is a position in the Controller’s department which may provide an opportunity to work in a variety of functions over time. The range of experience provided will be influenced by individual performance and aptitude, previous experience, and progression towards an Accounting designation. These areas are Financial Reporting, Financial Systems, Capital and Inventory Accounting, and Rural Electric Association (REA) Accounting. Responsibilities in these roles will include assisting in the financial statement preparation process, duties involved with the company’s financial system, duties related to capital expenditures and fixed asset accounting, general accounting, cash and banking duties, special projects and responsibilities related to REA accounting. Management will specify which functions will be performed by the individual and the length of time that the duties will be performed. Initially, this role will be focused on supporting (indicate Financial Reporting, Financial Systems, Capital and Inventory Accounting, or Rural Electric Association (REA) Accounting).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Degree or Diploma with an Accounting major plus a minimum of 1 year of Accounting experience; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered if it meets the criteria of the CPA program.
• Must be actively pursuing the CPA designation.
• Experience working in a regulated environment, preferably within the electrical utility industry, would be an asset.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
• Coordinate the account reconciliation process; this includes updating the listing for new accounts, tracking status of preparation and review, and creating listings of issues and unrecorded errors.
• Administer accrual process; this includes performing accrual verification procedures on a monthly basis and subsequent payments testing on a quarterly basis.
• Meet with managers to provide feedback and resolve any issues regarding accruals.
• Assist in the preparation of the financial statement by performing analysis on financial results.
• Conduct financial statement controls checks, such as but not limited to, tie in of schedules and notes.
• Responsible for settlement runs and settlement errors in SAP.
• Set up and maintenance of master records in SAP.
• Provide training in all financial modules of SAP.
• Prepare SAP process documentation.
• Run month end and year end processes in SAP.
• Perform cash and banking duties such as downloading of data from banks into SAP, investigation of unusual items, follow up of uncashed cheques, petty cash duties, etc. In addition, perform bank reconciliations and ensure all controls are properly enforced.
• Act as a key liaison with the bank to resolve banking issues.
• Prepare journal entries as required and ensure that proper documentation is in place supporting the entry, checks for reasonableness of the entry, and that the entry is compliant with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Capital and Inventory Accounting
• Prepare monthly reporting and analysis for capital expenditures and fixed asset transactions to meet management, regulatory and audit requirements.
• Responsible for timely and accurate set-up and maintenance of capital projects and fixed asset records.
• Support field personnel relating to capital project reporting, project set-up and completion, and other related requirements.
• Process fixed asset transactions (retirements, sales etc.).
• Monitor and analyze capital related monthly loading processes (capital overhead) to ensure costs are recovered appropriately in accordance with company policy.
• Provide assistance with management of capital expenditures and property processes to ensure business needs are met.
• Assist in the performance of inventory controls by checking report, attending inventory counts and other functions as required.
Rural Electric Association (REA) Accounting
• Responsible for REA related duties and REA financial statements.
• Perform various duties related to customer advances and customer contributions.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly present information to various audiences in both formal and informal settings.
• Strong customer service focus with the proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with team members and internal and external stakeholders.
• Solid analytical skills in order to perform independent analysis with attention to detail.
• Demonstrated initiative in recognizing opportunities for improvement and efficiency; willingness to challenge status quo.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of basic accounting principles.
• Demonstrated ability to apply professional judgment in determining appropriate accounting methods, resolving issues, and evaluating possible solutions.
• Strong organizational and time management skills in order to manage multiple priorities and competing demands with tight timelines.
• Demonstrated intermediate proficiency in using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel); familiarity with SAP would be an asset.
The expectation of this role is to ensure the employee demonstrates continuous progress towards achieving an Accounting designation within a reasonable time period.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Application Deadline - January 8, 2017
Please apply thru our website at: www.fortisalberta.com
Go to Careers/Current Openings/Search our jobs.
Review the job posting details and click on the "Apply" button.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those external candidates to be considered for an interview will be contacted.