We are currently recruiting for a permanent full time SENIOR ACCOUNTANT at our Home Office located in Calgary, AB.
As the Senior Accountant, you will report to the Corporate Controller and are responsible for performing a variety of accounting functions such as compiling financial statements, variance analysis and review of account reconciliations while adhering to generally accepted accounting principles and reporting requirements. The ideal candidate will possess strong accounting skills, excellent inter-personal skills, and an ability to motivate and mentor team members to help build a strong cohesive accounting unit.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform a variety of period-end closing procedures including preparing or approving of manual journal entries, preparing or approving working papers, preparing consolidations and ensuring financial data is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Analyze and reconcile variances between general ledger, subledger and systems.
- Assist management in the evaluation of periodic results, including explanations for the budget, forecast and prior-year variances.
- Partner and collaborate with operational teams throughout the organization to ensure accurate delivery of periodic financial results and assist in preparation of financial analysis.
- Involvement in the annual budgets and rolling forecast process.
- Assist the Accounting team in creating and improving internal reporting information.
- Assist the Accounting team with preparing and/or reviewing deliverables for the external auditors, tax authorities and other special reporting.
- Assist with the provision of technical accounting research and support.
- Constantly evaluate, identify and implement process efficiencies by challenging current procedures and activates.
- Provide leadership to the Accounting team including on-the-job coaching and mentoring.
- Lead process improvements and be results driven.
- Ensure internal control environment is operating effectively
- Assist in the completion of special projects and/or adhoc projects throughout the business, as required.
- Establish and maintain documentation pertaining to accounting procedures/processes as applicable to area of responsibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- The candidate is professional, technically proficient, independent thinker and likes to have fun!
- The candidate is a hands-on performer who can both create accounting and financial information and evaluate that information critically.
- Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a desire for continuous improvement.
- A hard worker who has the ability to handle pressure and meet tight deadlines in an environment with a high volume of activity.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies: able to positively influence others, coach, mentor and effectively direct work when required.
- A team player by nature but be able to lead as needed.
- Possess strong communication skills to provide guidance and/or instruction to peers in the organization, adapts their information/style to the audience, and explains difficult issues clearly to the appropriate audience.
- S/he must have integrity beyond reproach.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency of Microsoft Office products, especially MS Excel.
- Experience using an ERP system, especially ACCPAC is considered an asset.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting and a Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA or CMA) or in final stages of completion.
- Minimum of 4-5 years of progressive accounting experience is required.
- Experience in a leadership or supervisory position is preferred.
- Experience in a manufacturing, health care or service industry is considered an asset.
- Fluency in French is considered as asset.
Our rapid and continued growth ensures that our employees are constantly challenged and rewarded. We value employees by fostering collaboration, providing ongoing training and development opportunities and rewarding those who want to lead and exceed expectations. As a valued asset to our team, you can expect a comprehensive rewards package, including a competitive base salary and benefits.
If this opportunity appeals to you, please send us your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote “Senior Accountant - Calgary” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. We politely request no telephone calls please.