Competition No. - S103031946
Posting Date - Feb 07, 2017
Closing Date - March 5, 2017
Position Type - Full Time - Operating Funded
Salary range - $62,877.36 to $85,490.04 per year
Grade - 11
Hours - 35 per wk
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca.
Reporting to the Director, Finance and Administration, this full time position manages the the financial planning and financial reporting of the Alberta School of Business consolidated budget and financial results. The supervisor coordinates and develops processes with various stakeholders to help ensure reasonable and accurate budgets and statements are produced for strategic decision making by School management and leadership, for the Alberta School of Business's 30+ branches, departments, and centres. This position supervises one financial analyst.
- Provides advice and guidance to the School’s administrators regarding budget best practices
- Coordinates the School's consolidated budget and budgetary planning process for roughly 40 administrative branches, including departments and centres with multiple funds.
- Compiles the School’s master consolidated budget with the Director Finance and Administration (DFA) ensuring integration of net budgeted initiatives with revenues and expenditures
- Develops the School’s financial planning timelines, fiscal operational and project plans in partnership with the DFA
- Develops robust working papers, related documentation, and reconciliation processes with respect to risks, operational needs and strategic directions
- Determines methods to incorporate risk analysis, quantify unit budget risk, and integrate uncertainty assumptions into the consolidated budget
- Analyzes budgets, targets and processes for financial risks and makes recommendations to the DFA
- Leads monthly and quarterly reporting process, as well as the distribution and communication of results to the School’s functional units
- Conducts year over year variance analysis, investigation and recommends corrective actions
- Leads coordination of financial materials, results, and outcomes into business planning process for executive team
- Helps develop and supervise the School’s budget monitoring and forecasting process
- Conducts quarterly forecast tracking for units; monitors and tracks cost reduction and cost savings initiatives for cost recovery and profit centres
- Develops training processes, seminars, and presentations for budget and forecasting to administrative and senior staff
- Several years experience in a complex financial role, with a Bachelor of Commerce, Business, Finance or related degree plus one of the following designations - CA/CMA/CGA/CPA; equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and knowledge of generally accepted audit standards (GAAS)
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts in clear, precise language to both financial experts and to non-financial staff and colleagues
- Business planning experience and knowledge and the ability to estimate financial uncertainty
- Must understand and apply sophisticated budgeting principles and processes
- Enterprise System experience and knowledge (Oracle, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards and equivalents)
- Proficient data analysis skills. A background in Management Information Systems, and/or experience with VBA/macros is an asset.
- An understanding of the fiscal framework of the University of Alberta is an asset; Fund accounting and/or not for profit finance experience is also an asset
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including knowledge of advanced tools, pivot tables, formulas, conditional formatting and query development
- Experience with nVision is an asset
- Understanding of multi-fund budget, reporting, and accounting processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Leadership skills: relationship building, judgement, prioritization and time management; supervision experience is an asset
Interested applicants may apply: http://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/S103031946/
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.