As a member of the Operations Accounting team reporting to the Supervisor, Operational Accounting, the Project Accountant will be responsible for the day to day reporting for power stations (coal or gas generation assets) – which includes: preparing month end journal entries; preparing reconciliations and quarterly continuity schedules; compiling and preparing monthly forecasts and management reports, variance analysis, quarterly financial statements, joint venture reporting if applicable, business plans; and managing the audit requirements of the associated assets. The position also provides support to corporate financial reporting, site and operational staff, and may be required to conduct research and provide recommendations from analysis of IFRS reporting standards.
WHERE WE WORK AND LIVE:
Headquartered near the heart of Downtown Calgary, our corporate office is surrounded by unique restaurants, galleries, green space, and only an hour away from the majestic Rocky Mountains. We are home to the world famous Calgary Stampede and Spruce Meadows, with a vibrant community culture.
- Responsible for the day to day consolidated reporting for power plants. Key activities include: compiling actual historical results and preparing monthly forecasts, preparation of monthly management reports, variance analysis, quarterly reports and quarterly financial statements.
- Functions as a liaison between sites and the corporate reporting group. Some interaction and liaising with the commercial office is also required.
- Provide support and perform work functions as required for IPP and/or thermal operations to expand general business knowledge, cross training, and implementation of best practices throughout the Operations Accounting team.
- Maintains primary responsibility for audit liaison and ensures Internal Control Certification reporting and control requirements are met.
- Develop a sound understanding of plant assets, and apply initiative to streamline processes focusing on efficiency, integrity, and accuracy of output. Use developed knowledge in the communication of complex accounting policies/procedures to non-financial personnel.
- Contributes to project work within the Operational Accounting team as required.
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce or Business with a major in Accounting or Finance
- Completion of a professional accounting designation (CMA, CA, CGA, CPA). Candidates enrolled in a professional program and near completion may also be considered
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in an accounting environment involving preparation of financial statements and management reporting
- Ability and willingness to work a reasonable amount of overtime hours during peak periods (for example: quarter end and year end)
- Experience with contract interpretation and application is a definite asset
- Ability to apply good judgment and strong decision making skills required
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate complex accounting processes; tailored for multiple levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively prioritize and to work under challenging deadlines while still emulating a strong customer service orientation, maintaining attention to detail and performing at a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrated intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Oracle considered an asset
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills Flexibility to allow for travel to site as required
- Valid driver’s license required
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.Final candidates will be required to undergo a Security Clearance Check.
If you are interested in this position please apply online today through the ATCO Careers website here.
Collection, use and retention of personal information will be in accordance with ATCO Group privacy policies and practices.By submitting your resume and personal information to the ATCO Group of Companies, and/or participating in a personal interview, you acknowledge and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by the ATCO Group of Companies to determine your suitability for employment opportunities within the ATCO Group of Companies.