Recognized as one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers in 2016, one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers as well as the recent recipient of Canada’s Top Employers for young people in 2016, the City of Edmonton continues to attract and retain employees who are passionate about their community, proud of the work they do, and committed to making Edmonton a great place to live, work and play.
Are you an enterprising leader in the financial reporting and analytics field?
The City of Edmonton is continuing to evolve and grow in response to the needs of our citizens. We are redefining how we do finance in a municipal setting, all while fiscally guiding our organization to a higher standard of excellence. As we continue to advance and innovate, we are seeking a Finance Manager who will oversee a team of finance professionals that provide day to day financial support and direction to branches within the Sustainable Development department helping to shape a livable, safe and sustainable city.
By demonstrating “big picture” thinking and how to apply financial rigor to operating decisions, this role will be accountable for business analytics associated with but not limited to operating and capital budget development, financial performance and variance reporting, council reports, financial analysis and business cases for special projects.
As the Finance Manager, you will:
- Lead, influence and collaborate with team resources in the forecasting, long range planning, and decision-making to develop financial and business strategies and resolve issues
- Analyze results against budget and forecasts to identify variances, year-end costs, trends and determine historical costs utilized in future financial models/reports
- Develop and implement strategies for continuous improvement and innovation and ensure alignment to City goals, objectives and priorities
- Provide leadership to the branch managers and their management teams in the development of financial deliverables that align with financial accounting directives and policies
- Provide financial analytics, advice and assistance in the development of sound defensible business cases for new or revised initiatives
- Actively review, challenge and participate alongside Branch Leadership Teams in their evaluation of goals, outcomes, targets and business strategies. This includes but is not limited to understanding the client's business, implications on resource requirements, evaluating financial implications, providing guidance on targets and consistently applying corporate policy and strategic direction
- Participate in a constructive and collaborative manner with other departments and stakeholders within the City in the planning and analysis of financial activities
- Build workforce capacity through coaching, mentoring, recognizing accomplishments and motivating employees to deliver peak performance
To learn more about what it is like to be on our team, visit The City of Edmonton Talent Hub for Finance and Accounting Professionals:
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary degree in Business or Commerce or equivalent
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA)
- Minimum of 7 years related experience in financial management including knowledge of financial analytics and business planning
- Significant knowledge and experience with budgeting, business planning, analysis of financial results and performance measurement best practices
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), presentation, organizational and people skills
- Strong leadership, facilitation, collaborative planning and team building capabilities attributing to the achievement of key business goals
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $116,049 - $145,060 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: JM/MZ