The Controller reports directly to the CEO. Under the direction of the CEO, the Controller is responsible for the supervision of day-to-day operations of the accounting department and personnel. The incumbent will also work closely with senior management and divisional management to help accomplish company goals and objectives based on the business and partnership plans. The Controller will maintain a professional and respectful work environment and demonstrate sensitivity to the employees in addressing problems which could impair the atmosphere of the team members.
RESPONSIBILITIES (general but not limited to):
- Provide positive and proactive leadership in all aspects of management
- Teambuilding and conflict resolution
- Perform Employee Performance evaluations for staff
- Weekly plans necessary to achieve the business goals of Safety Stewardship, Business Integrity, Pride in Performance and Continued Growth.
- Leadership role in relation to strategic planning, creating cost efficiencies, maintaining favorable banking covenants and maintaining financial KPI’s
- Implementing and maintaining quality inventory and procurement controls
- Timely, accurate, and transparent reporting at all levels
- Ensure that all Regulatory requirements are achieved by providing clear plans, accountability and follow-up for all personnel, including adequate training, certification, inspection, reporting and discipline.
- Work within the authorities set out in the Delegation of Authorities Guidelines (DOAG), Personnel Policy Manual (PPM) and Corporate or Company Safety Policy Manual.
- Provide the appropriate support to other divisions and areas of CRE when requested.
- All other duties as required.
Nature and Scope:
The incumbent must have sufficient knowledge of the accounting profession and GAAP. The Controller must also be able to organize and manage personnel to meet all of the quality and quantity requirements related to company goals and strategies.
The incumbent must have excellent communication skills necessary to receive and respond to the daily feedback monitoring and reporting requirements of leadership.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, provincial, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- 10 years accounting experience
- 5+ years of controller experience
- Advanced degree in Accounting
- CPA designation required
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Public practice experience considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license is also essential to the role.