Job Purpose and Summary
The Finance Administrator / Bookkeeper is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports for IIBA Calgary. S/he provides financial support to the VP Finance through bookkeeping, banking and reporting services. Under the VP Finance, the Finance Administrator / Bookkeeper maintains all necessary and appropriate records, files and processes to ensure the smooth and compliant financial operation of the organization, focusing on accuracy and transparency.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete all bookkeeping in your own licences copy of Sage 50.
- Provide an electronic backup copy five (5) days after the last day of the month to the VP Finance.
- Prepare General Ledger and supporting accounts.
- Prepare Accounts Payable files for approved supplier contracts and volunteer expense reimbursement. Prepare cheques for signing and distribution, or electronic payment.
- Create and send invoicing for Membership dues, Sponsorship fees and Corporate Professional Development training fees.
- Record and reconcile monthly PayPal account sales revenue and transaction fees by Portfolio category for Membership dues, Event fees, Professional Development training fees and Certifications Preparation training fees.
- Reconcile all accounts Monthly.
- Maintain financial records and filing.
- Follow up with accounts receivable invoices as needed.
- Transfer Monthly PayPal account net revenue to the Bank account on the first (1) day of the month, based on defined policies.
- Reconcile bank accounts monthly.
- Monitor cash flow and cash management, against annual approved budget.
- Prepare monthly Financial Statements including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Performance to Budget / Variance and Cash Flow, Current Membership list, Membership Expiring (60 / 30 days), Membership renews outstanding list. Non-IIBA Chapter Member list, and other reports as required by VP Finance.
- Prepare quarterly Budget / Variance and Cash Flow summary report by portfolio.
- Prepare quarterly reports and deliver associated files to the audit committee for spot check.
- Prepare year end reports and deliver associated files to the audit committee for review.
Not for Profit Guidance
- Provide advice and recommendations on financial procedures and practice related to GAAP, CRA Not for Profit status compliance, Alberta Society Act compliance and any other appropriate regulatory body.
- Provide advice, recommendations and requirement on current Not for Profit Society funding and grant opportunities.
- Make application for Not for Profit funding and grant as requested VP Finance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong computer skills, including Sage 50 and Excel.
- Complete and expert understanding of all Federal GAAP and standards for Canadian Not for Profit Societies in Alberta.
- Understanding of Provincial and Federal reporting standards for Not for Profit Societies in Alberta.
- Minimum 5-years current experience in Sage / Simply Accounting.
- Certification in bookkeeping or financial management.
- Minimum 5-years recent experience with a Not for Profit organization in Canada, preferably in Alberta.
Nice to Haves
- At least 2-years experience as a Sage Certified Consultant.
- A CGA or CPA designation.
Conditions of Engagement and Scope of Work
You will work independently and remotely at your own office / Home-office on your own supplied equipment and software. The position will begin as a unpaid and may become a paid position pending possible Not for Profit funding and grant opportunities. The start date is Friday March 31st, 2017. The first 30 days will require a full-time or near full-time effort. We completed an accounting to Simple Accounting in 2016 and 2016 financials must be completed by as soon as possible. Once 2016 fiscal is approved, 2017 fiscal to-date will be brought up-to-date. Once fully current, this will be a permanent part-time position requiring approximately 5-10 hours per week.