This position’s primary responsibility is researching and implementing the application of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) to changing business activities, including hedge accounting, for the CWB Financial Group and its subsidiaries. To satisfy this objective, the position is required to:
- Work closely with the Finance senior leadership team and other areas of CWB to prepare documentation for technical and complex accounting topics, as requested.
- Lead/participate in Finance sponsored and non-Finance sponsored projects involving stakeholders from numerous departments.
- Keep up-to-date with IFRS changes and supporting projects related to the implementation of new standards.
- Prepare policy and procedures relevant to the new IFRS or to the new business activities requiring new accounting policies or processes.
*Possibility of relocation*
- Provide technical experience and leadership in the area of IFRS.
- Execute and document IFRS research and recommendations for approval, and communicate to senior Finance staff, Treasury, and other members of the Finance Team for implementation.
- Prepare hedging documentation and analysis for CWB Group and the partner companies.
- Incorporate feedback and information from internal and external stakeholders into research and documentation.
- Prepare or review journal entries related to complex accounting matters as required.
- Assist in drafting financial statement note disclosures in accordance with IFRS as required.
- Participate in Finance sponsored projects driven by new accounting standards (such as IFRS 15 Revenue from Contracts with Customers), updates to existing standards and complex transactions.
- Promote cooperation and commitment within the CWB Group towards the attainment of common goals enabling productive group interactions.
- Clearly document assumptions and recommendations in a manner that is traceable and auditable
- Work closely with Finance team to develop and document applicable accounting policies on complex accounting matters as required.
- Demonstrate adaptability to perform other duties as assigned.
- Liaise with external consultants to ensure procedures are aligned with IFRS and industry standards.
- Provide support to direct manager and Senior Finance Leaders.
- Communicate with other departments when assessing complex accounting issues.
- Confidentiality is required as project work involves sensitive information.
- Bachelor of Commerce / Business Administration degree
- CPA (CA, CMA or CGA) designation
- A minimum of two (2) years of post-designation advanced accounting experience with a focus on IFRS
- Financial institution and public company experience are considered assets
- Prior experience with derivatives and hedge accounting is desirable but not required
- Excels in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to work independently in a fast pace, team environment while maintaining accuracy, timeliness, responsiveness and insight in all areas of work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral and written)
- Excellent analytical capability and the ability to comprehend complex business transactions.
- Ability to work within very tight deadlines around quarter-end and year-end.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects concurrently.
- Proficient in the use of Excel and Word.