BAKER LAKE, NU – Ref. No. QEC-17-008
A strategic thinker recognized for your personal integrity, credibility, foresight, proactive approach and skills as a change agent, you welcome this opportunity to ensure that QEC has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and efficient audits.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and providing leadership and direction to financial accounting staff, you will oversee and direct all financial accounting and financial reporting, and assist in regulatory matters. As Controller, you will be involved in supporting presentations to the QEC Board and the Office of the Auditor General of Canada, and work collaboratively with Senior Management and their department staff to ensure that short-term and long-term strategies align with QEC goals and objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Analyzing financial data and presenting accurate, timely financial reports to support decision-making;
- Preparing budgets and forecasts from information prepared by all departments;
- Managing monthly detailed reviews of the general ledger and accounts reconciliations;
- Directing and coordinating debt reporting and debt service payments;
- Managing daily cash flow requirements;
- Recommending new/revisions to corporate financial policies;
- Liaising with external auditors to ensure timely completion of interim and year-end audits;
- Ensuring compliance with Corporation Act and GN requirements;
- Overseeing financial controls, coordinating internal controls, evaluating any weaknesses and implementing corrective action;
- Developing and implementing training initiatives for staff, aligned with organizational goals; and
- Managing staff performance, providing coaching and mentoring, and identifying career development opportunities.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and a professional designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA);
- At least 8 years’ post-certification work experience, with 5+ years at a senior finance level, preferably in a regulated utility environment;
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and investments;
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software;
- Proven ability to deliver presentations and articulate financial information to a variety of audiences; and
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts for finance and non-finance audiences at all levels.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture is an asset.
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, and/or French is an asset.
- Experience in compliance reporting to government agencies is an asset.
We offer a competitive starting salary of $107,347 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $24,381 per annum. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Apply in writing, by April 21st, 2017, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.