Reporting to the Regional Controller, the Assistant Controller is responsible for managing the daily operations of the accounting department and coordinating the completion of financial reports and consolidation. This role assists in the development and maintenance of financial controls to ensure accuracy and integrity of financial information.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Responsible for overseeing accounting procedures, internal controls (implementing, monitoring, enhancing), and database management.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements and reporting packages.
- Prepare monthly working papers
- Complete financial and variance analysis
- Ensure general ledgers are reconciled and maintained, including the preparation of monthly working papers.
- Ensure GST reports and other document submissions and filings are accurate and timely.
- Assist in the preparation of weekly cash flow forecasts.
- Assist in the collection of accounts receivable as required.
- Assist in the preparation of documentation and communicate with auditors during year end and quarter end reviews, including tax provisions and balance sheets.
- Aid in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Provide copies of payables invoices for job-costing, fixed asset tracking, and correction as required.
- Prepare actual cash flow reports for the Controller, reconcile all bank statements weekly, and enter all manual bank transactions (auto-payments, source, etc).
- Prepare Weekly and Monthly Bank Covenant reports
- Assist the Controller as needed, including training staff on internal control procedures.
- Assist and take lead on special projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interpret and apply corporate policies and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi task.
- Ability to work independently and resolve problems without supervision.
- Knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and maintaining general ledgers.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to supervise and manage staff.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in accounting or finance.
- CPA designation.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a related role