Job Title: Finance Professional 3, Business Services
Job Number: BCH-R-1147-170421E1
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Executes the consolidated month-end close process, runs monthly extracts, produces monthly reports including the Operating and Financial Results (OFR) and the corresponding Executive Summary for the Executive Team, and prepares monthly reconciliations and validation checks in a timely manner; investigates and resolves any anomalies in a collaborative manner
- Evaluates financial reporting processes and identifies and implements improvements to the quality and efficiency of financial reporting; develops and maintains reports to respond to evolving business requirements; extracts and provides data and reports for ad hoc enquiries
- Accurately prepares quarterly and year-end consolidated financial statements, note disclosure, Management Discussion & Analysis (MD&A), and financial statistics
- Prepares schedules and reports for statutory filings and understands and complies with legislative reporting requirements; acts as a project manager and can work with minimal supervision; plans, coordinates resources, and sets parameters to obtain data, information, and reports from staff in various departments; ensures the accurate amalgamation of quantitative and qualitative information from numerous sources across the Company (examples of statutory filings are the annual Financial Information Act (FIA) report and the annual British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) report)
- Compiles and prepares corporate-wide Service Plan metric results and summarizes and reports information on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Compiles and prepares year-end forecast information and corroborates the information supplied with other sources to ensure reasonability; summarizes quantitative and qualitative aspects of the year-end forecast for senior management
- Prepares summary information for senior management and prepares reports for the Board of Directors and Audit & Finance Committee
- Provides advice on the application of IFRS standards; drafts memos on accounting positions; responds to a variety of enquiries and provides technical guidance regarding the interpretation and application of accounting policies and procedures
- Coordinates and provides information for the external auditors and responds to questions
- Works with staff in various departments across the Company (eg. Finance, Information Technology, Regulatory, Communications, Corporate Secretary, Operations, Legal); maintains strong working relationships; supports team-oriented culture
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA)
- 7-10 years’ experience in a progressively more responsible financial reporting capacity with specific experience in internal and external financial reporting, analysis, and forecasting
- Proven knowledge and experience with financial systems, financial reporting, financial processes, and internal controls over financial reporting of a large, complex organization
- The successful candidate must demonstrate:
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Effective and advanced planning, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills
* Excellent MS Excel skills * Strong MS Word skills
* Good understanding of SAP systems and MS PowerPoint
* Basic understanding of MS Access and MS Visio is preferred
This position reports directly to the Manager, Corporate Financial Reporting within the Controller's group.
Preference to candidates with the following key attributes :
* Knowledge of the utilities industry and regulatory accounting
* Experience with external auditing practices and procedures
* Strong knowledge and understanding of IFRS, particularly in a rate-regulated environment
* Strong sense of leadership in a team-oriented environment
This position will be advertised internally and externally concurrently.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 10th, 2017.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs