PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Company’s Corporate Governance department is both evolving and growing to meet the company’s assurance needs. The Internal Auditor will be responsible for supporting the Company’s C-SOx compliance program as well as supporting other Corporate Governance programs, including Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management as required. This position reports to the Supervisor, Audit & CSOx and is located at our corporate headquarters in downtown Calgary.
- Assist with coordination and execution of CSOx compliance activities including planning, documenting controls, testing controls and reporting on results;
- Liaise with external auditors as required during the course of CSOx compliance;
- Participate in risk-based internal audits of operational, financial and compliance areas;
- Be accountable for the complete audit cycle including risk assessment, planning, fieldwork and reporting;
- Assist in the preparation of fact-based, concise and well written audit reports and working papers that clearly explain issues, risks, recommendations and management action plans;
- Present results of CSOx compliance and internal audits to management ensuring issues and risks are clearly communicated;
- Ensure audits are conducted in accordance with the Standards for Professional Practices of Internal Audit as defined by the IIA;
- Follow-up on and validate the effective implementation of management actions resulting from internal audits;
- Participate in the annual internal audit planning process ensuring alignment with Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Corporate Strategy;
- Provide guidance on internal control design to management and follow-up on internal control deficiencies ensuring appropriate remediation;
- Assist with Enterprise Risk Management through the coordination of periodic risk assessments and validation of mitigation strategies as well as preparation of reporting to ERM Committee as requested by management;
- Assist in the preparation of Audit Committee materials as needed or requested by management;
- Maintain effective working relationships with Corporate and Business Unit leaders;
- Maintain a high level of integrity and confidentiality;
- This position may involve approximately 20% travel within North America.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Business analytical skills including process mapping, process improvement and root cause analysis;
- Written and verbal communication skills for report writing and client presentations;
- Understanding of IIA audit standards, COSO internal control framework and ERM;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to prioritize tasks, work independently, and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of applications;
- Team player with superior customer service skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related discipline;
- Professional accounting designation or working towards;
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or working towards preferred;
- 2-4 years related experience;
- Experience with CSOX (or SOx) compliance;
- Understanding of controls relating to IT systems and databases a plus;
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP a plus;
- Strong data analytic skills using Advanced Excel and Power BI a plus.