The Asset Management Accountant Level II is responsible for the accounting and analysis of equipment costs, capital transactions, and maintenance revenue. The role works closely with internal departments to ensure the accurate capture of equipment transactions in compliance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”), internal controls, policies, and procedures. They manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes, coordinate with auditors, and prepare analysis and working papers for internal and external reporting requirements.
NAEPI financials are publically listed and are prepared in accordance with US GAAP with common shares traded on the New York stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. NAEPI is a CPA Alberta Pre-Approved Program for practical experience.
- Maintain accounting records for individual shops and equipment, ensuring accuracy of costs and maintenance revenues in compliance with US GAAP and internal policies and procedures.
- Assist in drafting position papers for revenue recognition and fixed assets.
- Manage monthly and quarterly closing process including coordination with sites and other internal departments.
- Record fixed asset acquisitions and dispositions in the accounting system.
- Perform month end and quarter end closing activities including cost and revenue accruals, variance investigation, open PO analysis, margin analysis, fixed asset acquisition, fixed asset disposition and reconciliation of applicable balance sheet accounts.
- Support divisional activities for both internal and external reporting including preparation and maintenance of equipment accounting documentation and reports.
- Month-end, quarter-end and year-end reporting ensuring review and analysis of costs and accounting treatment.
- Preparation of documentation and communicating with auditors during quarter end reviews and year end audits.
- Assist Supply Chain management in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and forecasts.
- Work with compliance team to ensure that controls are tested in accordance with the company’s internal controls.
- Develop and maintain controls and procedures in compliance with company policies for fixed asset accounting, cost accounting and budget and forecasts.
- Oversee the setup and maintenance of fixed asset and shops.
- Participate in maintenance meetings to provide guidance and feedback to ensure compliance with processes, policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with IT to maintain system integrity of transactional impacts on the Fixed Asset Module in JD Edwards.
- Implement a program of continual process improvements.
- Perform ad-hoc requests as required.
- Related Bachelors degree or equivalent experience related to financial accounting.
- CPA designation (or final year of program) preferred.
- Minimum three years’ experience related to financial accounting or cost accounting.
- Industrial construction and/or mining experience including Fixed Asset accounting preferred.
- Detail oriented
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Works well in a dynamic team environment
- Experience with JD Edwards is considered an asset
- Possess strong communication skills with practical accounting and finance knowledge.
- Work cooperatively with other employees and the public.
- Ability to monitor and maintain the efficient flow of documents and information.
- Excellent thinking and problem-solving skills with strong technical abilities.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of accounting and financial systems.
Please apply online at www.nacg.ca/careers and Job ID 2017-7013