|We care for people. Together.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) is seeking an experienced business professional who is passionate about contributing to AHS’ success and continual improvement by sharing their expertise in risk management for the role of Manager, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM).
It is an exciting time to be a part of our ERM team as we strive to build risk awareness, improve risk management maturity and champion practical, effective and efficient risk management practices that support AHS’ vision, mission and values.
As part of the Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management Department, the ERM team coordinates the Enterprise Risk Management policy and processes designed to facilitate a consistent approach to identifying, monitoring and reporting risks within the organization. The team also provides risk advisory services and risk management expertise to the organization on a wide range of risks.
As the Manager, ERM you will hold a key role supporting all levels of risk owners, assessing, articulating and reporting on key organizational risks, and presenting on a variety of risk management topics.
You will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on AHS’ risk management by applying a risk lens to corporate, operational and tactical environments to improve risk intelligence and decision-making. If you thrive on creating an open and engaging atmosphere for stakeholders to share, learn and deliver results, we'd love to talk to you!
The Manager, ERM works closely with a small tight-knit team of risk management advisors in a highly collaboratively and supportive environment to provide advisory services and impart risk management expertise to internal stakeholders. The Manager, ERM also works with the Internal Audit team, as part of the Internal Audit and ERM department, to share risk management methodology and insight to organizational risk.
The ideal candidate will be able to use effectively their influence to act as an ambassador of the Internal Audit and ERM department during all stakeholder interactions, helping to build the reputation and value of ERM at AHS.
The successful candidate will bring a strong desire to learn about health service delivery and a depth of experience in risk management and/or internal audit to support Executive and Board Committees in their risk oversight roles, supporting all levels of risk owners in assessing, articulating and reporting on key organizational risks, and presenting on a variety of risk management topics.
Other key accountabilities:
- Perform and facilitate the identification, assessment and reporting of key risks.
- Support stakeholders in identifying, developing and prioritizing risk management strategies/plans.
- Provide expert advice and consultative services on risk evaluation, management, control and governance.
- Prepare, maintain and present key program, department and risk reports as assigned.
- Develop and maintain strong productive working relationships and networks at all levels of the organization.
- Contribute to the development, maintenance and/or improvement of the ERM Framework and supporting tools foundational to delivering the ERM program and services.
- Add to the success of the Internal Audit and ERM department by participating in mutual learning and knowledge sharing, and by fostering a collaborative environment.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related discipline.
- Specialization in accounting (CPA). Other equivalents may be considered such as MBA, CFA, etc.
- Five years’ experience in risk management and/or internal audit.
- Three years’ experience in a management role, preferably in an organization of significant size, complexity and diversity.
- Ability to present complex topics in easy-to-understand ways using plain language.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including creating and editing documents and presentations.
- Experience in public speaking and formal presentations to groups.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project and Visio.
- Experience working with audit software, such as TeamMate.
- Demonstrated pattern of professional and personal development.
- Experience facilitating conversations to build consensus, formulate strategies and recommendations.
- Professional designation or certificate in risk management.
Other key competencies for this role include:
- Well-developed analytical, critical, and systems thinking skills.
- Leadership skills including ability and comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written) with a stakeholder focused orientation and the ability to listen, understand and customize communications to the stakeholders’ benefit.
- Well-developed organization and project management skills.
- Displaying professionalism, courtesy, discretion and a commitment to servicing the risk management needs of the organization.
- Demonstrates self-leadership with honesty, integrity, resilience and confidence.
- Ability to create and sustain productive, collaborative and consultative relationships with the team and a diverse group of stakeholders.
Alberta Health Services (AHS), the largest health care provider in the country, is an organization focused on providing safe, high-quality, patient- and family-centred care. We achieve this with our workforce of more than 108,000 employees, 7,700 medical staff and 15,600 volunteers who are dedicated to serving a population of 4.1 million Albertans.
At AHS we offer a comprehensive remuneration package and a full range of benefits including life insurance, short and long term disability, Local Authority Pension Plan, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, as well as medical, dental and extended health care. In addition, we offer a generous vacation package, paid sick days and paid personal leave days.
Location is negotiable between Calgary or Edmonton.
Posting may be closed prior to June 4, 2017 if suitable candidate is found.