Financial Operations Accountant
Competition Number: 7601ES
The Financial Services Department is responsible for the accurate and timely capture, analysis and reporting of all financial information for Mount Royal University, Mount Royal Foundation and Mount Royal Childcare Centre.
Guided by the departmental and institutional strategic plan, the Financial Operations Accountant recommends and implements change, through developing business process improvements, identifying potential risks, along with developing strategic opportunities for business improvements and identifying training requirements.
The Financial Operations Accountant must also meet the unique needs of the individual departments and related activities to ensure the institutional perspective is considered, along with all relevant constraints (e.g. regulatory compliance) are followed through appropriate accounting treatment, effective internal controls, and reporting of its business activities. Flexibility is required, as the incumbent must constantly evaluate and re-prioritize workload as new initiatives and requirements emerge, all within strict deadlines and varying business cycles.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Operations, the Financial Operations Accountant is a senior-level professionally designated accountant providing expertise on all general accounting, internal controls and best practices. The incumbent will also provide expertise on general accounting requirements, ensuring relevant, timely and accurate financial reporting for the University is achieved.
- Provide expert advice on general accounting and best practices related to internal controls, financial and operational system design and products, with specific relevance to university commerce business units
- Provide expert level support to business areas through communication and training on available software tools and processes
- Advise on information systems implementation projects regarding accounting related controls, segregation of duties, reconciliation requirements
- Provide expert level advice to all dedicated business areas for the ultimate preparation of audit-ready financial statements and all required external reporting (i.e. Provincial Ministry, conditional funding agencies, other government agencies)
- Provide expert advice on the interpretation, testing, and impact of all relevant financial operational, University wide policies, procedures, government regulations to support and enhance business areas’ operations and strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration with an accounting major or equivalent (B.Comm) and a current Professional Accounting Designation (CPA) in combination with a minimum of six (6) years’ related experience
- Superior and demonstrated financial accounting knowledge and experience
- Expertise in internal and technology controls, business process analysis, and audit compliance
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access) and accounting software (CaseWare)
- Excellent technical writing and documentation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative environment
Closing Date May 29, 2017
Reply To: Mount Royal University
Department of Human Resources