The Project Accountant Level II is responsible for the accounting and analysis of project revenue and costs. They will work closely with internal departments to ensure all daily accounting activities are in compliance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”), internal controls, policies, and procedures. This position manages the monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes, coordinate with auditors, and prepare analysis and working papers for internal and external reporting requirements.
The Project Accountant Level II position performs job setup, control and maintenance activities, as well as month end activities including cost accruals, revenue recognition, variance investigation, open PO analysis and reconciliation of applicable balance sheet accounts.
NACG is a wholly owned subsidiary of North American Energy Partners Inc. (“NAEPI”). NAEPI financials are publically listed and are prepared in accordance with US GAAP with common shares traded on the New York stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. NAEPI is a participant in the CPA Alberta Pre-Approved Program for practical experience.
This is a temporary position until April 2018.
- Oversee financial project and equipment financial results to ensure the capture of financial information in accordance with US GAAP and internal policies and procedures.
- Work closely with project management, procurement, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable to ensure accurate and consistent financial reporting, cost capture, revenue recognition and project billing.
- Review open purchase orders and aged received not vouchered ledgers to identify cost accruals and/or corrections.
- Understand contract terms and assist project personnel in performing project start-up and life-cycle maintenance.
- Maintain continuities of approved contractual values and ensure that revenue is recognized in compliance with contractual documentation, accounting standard codification (“ASC”) 605 and internal revenue recognition policies.
- Assist in the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606).
- Work with project management to develop monthly project forecasts, analyze and investigate variances to budget and to prior month, and lead the presentation of monthly forecasts for senior management.
- Lead monthly shop cost analysis meetings with key project and shop management to analyze and investigate results.
- Complete monthly overhead analysis and lead the presentation of overhead results in monthly meetings with key project personnel and senior management.
- Create and maintain monthly cost reporting and analysis for internal management.
- Complete audit and review analysis and working papers for internal and external auditors.
- Respond to queries from internal and external auditors.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies in monthly, quarterly and annual processes and offer solutions to improve efficiencies.
- Participate in ongoing systems upgrading and maintenance projects by drafting and completing test scripts.
- Participate in maintenance of the financial reporting systems, including developing and improving upon custom financial reporting.
- Contribute towards the development and maintenance of internal controls processes affecting divisional finance.
- Assist project management in the development of the annual financial budget and the semi-annual financial forecast.
- Participate in ad hoc projects analysis as necessary.
- Related Bachelors degree or equivalent experience related to financial accounting.
- CPA, CA, CMA, or CGA (or final year of program) preferred.
- Minimum three years’ experience related to financial accounting or project accounting.
- Industrial construction and/or mining experience preferred.
- Detail oriented
- Ability to read and interpret contract information
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Proficient financial modeling skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Works well in a dynamic team environment
- Experience with JD Edwards is considered an asset
- Possess strong communication skills with practical accounting and finance knowledge.
- Work cooperatively with other employees and the public.
- Ability to monitor and maintain the efficient flow of documents and information.
- Excellent thinking and problem-solving skills with strong technical abilities.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of accounting and financial systems.
Please apply online at www.nacg.ca/careers and select Job ID 2017-7065