Are you an enterprising leader in the financial reporting and analytics field?
This position is responsible for providing leadership in the preparation, presentation, clarification of the department/branch business plans and budgets; early identification of potential challenges and opportunities; providing mitigating strategies and quantitative and qualitative analysis to support presentations to the Department Leadership team, Utility Committee and City Council in a manner consistent with both corporate expectations and departmental priorities.
Working collaboratively with Branch Managers, Directors and Supervisors in support of the City Utilities within City Operations department this position is responsible for:
- Providing leadership to the branch managers and their management teams in the development of financial deliverables that are consistent with corporate requirements
- Translate theoretical financial policies and concepts into tangible processes, without significantly impacting existing efficiency and effectiveness
- Analyze financial results against budget to identify variances, year-end projections, identify trends and to determine historical costs utilized in future financial models/reports
- Fully participate with Financial Services and Corporate Strategic Planning teams to share ideas and develop solutions to challenges taking into consideration the diverse needs of the businesses we serve as well as having a “one-city” corporate view.
- Provide analytics support to the business area in their management of the capital budget throughout the implementation of capital profiles and understand the expenditures incurred against the percentage of project completion
- Provide financial analytics, advice and assistance in the development of sound defensible business cases for new or revised initiatives requiring increased resources (financial, manpower, supplies, etc.)
- Actively participate with client Branch Leadership Team in their discussion of department goals, outcomes, targets and business strategies. This includes; having a strong financial background as well as an overall understanding of the business needs to provide sound advice to support decision making.
- As a key business partner, support the development of business plan goals and targets to include review and evaluation of the financial impacts including ensuring resource requirements are reasonable and provide alternatives/recommendations based on sound business financial analytics
- Facilitate continuous improvements of financial processes and procedures for effectiveness and efficiencies
- Lead the coaching, mentoring and performance management of staff including evaluating performance and delivering feedback
- Completion of a University Degree in Business or Commerce or equivalent
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) is required
- Minimum of seven (7) years related experience and progressively responsible financial management experience including knowledge in the area of financial analytics and business planning development
- Expert knowledge of budgeting, business planning and performance measurements best practices preferably in the public sector
- Significant knowledge in the area of strategic planning as it relates to financial planning and budgeting and in-depth knowledge of the relationship between financial position results of operations and implications to business operations
- Remain current with changes to Canadian public sector accounting standards
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), presentation, organizational and people skills
- Excellent skills in establishing and maintaining effective relationships and strong interpersonal skills and ability in dealing with senior management and staff, being able to influence upwards, collaboratively across peers and mentoring of staff
- Strong leadership, facilitation and human resource management skills including performance improvement, interdisciplinary team building, decision making and individual and group supervision
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Please apply online to: