Position Description: Operations Controller
Classification: FTE = 1.0
Reports to: Executive Director
The Operations Controller manages the finance, human resource, and information technology departments providing leadership, information, expertise, and support, that will assist the Executive Director and other users in making educated financial, human resource, and information technology/management decisions in the best interests of the Edmonton West Primary Care Network (EWPCN).
- Manage the EWPCN’s financial accounting system and processes, including:
- Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, expense reports, payroll processing, tax, and other disbursements as required and ensures these transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP for not for profit organizations.
- Manages all accounts receivable and ensures accurate and timely management of billings, application of cash receipts, and other receivables as required.
- Submits, records, reconciles and analyzes business transactions and period end adjustments including but not limited to depreciation, accruals, and tax obligations.
- Manages the cash flow and position of the organization. Responsible for ensuring all transactions are carried out in accordance with approved financial policies.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely completion of financial management reports including, but not limited to, monthly and quarterly statements, variance reports, annual budget, tax returns, and mid-year and year-end reporting; manages relationship with external auditors.
- Responsible for development and implementation of the financial component of the three-year business plan and any approved amendments to the plan.
- Ensures appropriate controls, systems and procedures are developed and implemented to ensure accuracy, integrity and security of information and existence of appropriate safeguards to protect the organization’s financial and capital assets.
- Analyzes financial information and keeps the Executive Director fully informed. Takes corrective action promptly where necessary. Achieves financial operating objectives by contributing accounting information and recommendations to strategic planning and reviews; implementing productivity, quality and customer service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements and implementing changes.
- Provides subject matter expertise regarding financial management policies, business strategies and the control and use of business assets; ensures the organization’s financial management policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Provides leadership and insight for all Human Resource functions including but not limited to:
- Creation, maintenance, and storage of employee records in accordance with legal requirements and the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Responsible for overseeing benefit packages, employee/management relations, and ongoing implementation and maintenance of HR related policies and procedures.
- Responsible to recommend and develop HR policies and procedures that meet the needs of, and mitigate risk to, the EWPCN; ensures HR policies and procedures are compliant with any legal and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate information technology and information management functions related to the EWPCN’s network systems and associated software and hardware needs, including:
- Ensures timely, appropriate and secure employee access EWPCN IM/IT (Information Management/Information Technology) systems and assets.
- Responsible for the procurement of equipment, hardware, technology, materials, and supplies within scope of authority and budgetary limitations.
- Participates in EWPCN IM/IT discussions, providing a continuous improvement lens and advocating for a user focus.
- Develops cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Responsible to recommend and develop IT policies and procedures that meet the needs of, and mitigate risk to, the EWPCN.
- Responsible for managing Finance, HR, and IT support staff, maintaining favorable working relationships that promote a cooperative environment, employee morale, and productivity.
- Attendance at, and participation in, internal and external meetings as required and when appropriate for the role; occasional evening and weekend meetings may occur.
- Other duties as may reasonably be required.
- Ability to build a strong working relationship with healthcare professionals, patients, EWPCN physicians and EWPCN team members
- Promote a continuous learning environment within the EWPCN
- Receive, act on, or re-direct confidential correspondence, inquiries, and issues
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing, in person, on the telephone, and electronically.
- Intermediate computer skills (Microsoft Office, websites, databases, accounting)
- Must have:
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good judgment skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative and prioritize workload
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment in a complex and dynamic environment, with minimal supervision
- Support an organizational culture that fosters excellence and teamwork
- High levels of integrity and professional behavior
- Ability to act responsibly and be accountable for actions
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (i.e. Business, Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology)
- Five years’ experience in a senior financial role; experience with full cycle accounting.
- Accounting designation is required.
- Expert with financial accounting software required; experience with Sage is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel is an asset.
- Experience in the public sector and/or healthcare sector an asset.
- Experience in information management/technology is an asset.
- Knowledge of Alberta labour legislation and experience in administering the HR function.
Condition of Employment
Employment is conditional upon receiving a satisfactory criminal record check.