Located in the community of Springbank on 20 acres of parkland, west of Calgary, the residence and studios of Harry Kiyooka and Katie Ohe are being donated and transformed into the Kiyooka Ohe Arts Centre(KOAC), a charitable society dedicated to the promotion of contemporary art.
Their vision is to establish the KOAC as a contemporary arts gallery and centre that includes a botanic sculpture garden, wetlands, woods sanctuary and Pavilion to house Harry and Katie’s extensive collection of contemporary painting and sculpture.
The society is currently seeking a Treasurer to join their not-for-profit Board of Directors.
The Treasurer will manage the financial affairs of the society in conjunction with the other Board Members.
Specific Duties, Functions & Responsibilities
- Track and report on finances against the budget and help the board to respond if unexpected problems arise
- Keep up-to-date records as well as an audit trail for transactions
- Protect KOAC against fraud and theft, ensuring safe custody of money, and prompt banking
- Make sure the board understands its financial obligations
- Make sure KOAC complies with tax regulations, such as GST, donation tax receipts, etc.
- Review and amend internal processes and reporting methods
- Work with founders to do the banking, depositing cash and cheques, paying the bills and tracking income and expenditure throughout the year
This position will require a commitment of approximately 6 to 10 hours of work per month.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience Required
- A strong understanding of financial accounting for non-profit societies/organizations.
- Previous experience as a Treasurer at a non-profit organization is a definite asset.