GOAL OF THIS POSITION
As a member of the board, the treasurer will provide the organization with sound financial planning and management.
The treasurer will attend monthly board meetings; maintain bank accounts in collaboration with the President; supervise all financial transactions; prepare required financial documents; and report to the board.
The treasurer will:
• create a budget and provide a quarterly financial status report
• complete an annual financial report to be delivered at the society’s AGM
• maintain a synoptic ledger of financial transactions
• manage the society’s income, expenses, petty cash, PayPal account, and bank deposits
• collaborate with the Membership Coordinator on membership renewals and member event attendance fees
• be one of two persons required to sign all cheques and bank withdrawals
In addition to accounting/financial skills, this position requires leadership and team-building skills. Ideally, this volunteer has the ability to work collaboratively, and has some knowledge or experience of non-profit organizations.
PREVIOUS BOARD EXPERIENCE
Some is preferred, but none is required. Please note: all board members must become members of the society.
• Use professional skills to sustain and grow valuable community services
• Work with a group of committed leadership volunteers
• Develop knowledge of the community and represent the organization in community networking
• Develop a variety of skills: consultation, verbal and written communication, problem-solving, change management and leadership
• Attend society events and programs if desired
So You Want to be a Board Member: http://culture.alberta.ca/community/programs-and-services/board-development/resources/info-bulletins-english/pdfs/SoYouWant-Print_09.pdf
Financial Responsibilities of Not-for-Profit Boards: http://culture.alberta.ca/community/programs-and-services/board-development/resources/info-bulletins-english/pdfs/FinancialResponsibilities09-print.pdf
One two-hour board meeting per month (except summer) and 6-8 hours flex time per month.
LOCATION OF OPPORTUNITY
The treasurer is required to attend monthly board meetings, which take place at a central Calgary location. All board members are strongly encouraged to attend other CAFE events at various similar locations to represent the society.