Are you looking for a new opportunity to work with an excellent team in a fast paced work environment? Are you interested in doing challenging and dynamic work?
We want to put your financial reporting and leadership skills to work. This is an opportunity for a dynamic leader who wants to contribute to the stewardship of the City’s Community Revitalization Levies, Grants-In- Lieu, and Local Improvement revenues.
In this position, you will lead the team responsible for Grant-In-Lieu of taxes and Local Improvement accounts receivable. You will also manage the various taxation processes triggered by subdivision or consolidation of property as well as maintain the annual schedule activities for the property tax billing. Your hands on management experience along with your ability to deliver results will enable you to work collaboratively with others, and establish and maintain open, consultative and effective relationships in providing quality service and enhancing business processes.
- Oversee the applications and accounting for federal and provincial grants-in-lieu of taxes (GIL)
- Develop and monitor procedures to ensure that internal controls over the billing cycle are adequate, and identify process improvements to gain efficiencies.
- Monitor the collection of local improvement charges on City owned properties
- Act as the Branch representative at Assessment Review Board hearings as the taxation expert for local improvement charges and calculations
- Oversee property subdivision and consolidation related activities in the Tax Accounting Unit
- Oversee the training of the special purpose team and development of documented desk procedures
- Maintain and manage the annual calendar of key processes and dates for all Taxation billing activities
- Oversee the development of financial policy and procedures for the special purpose unit
- Delegate, track, and monitor workload to ensure accuracy and timeliness of accounting entries for subdivision, local improvement allocations, and GIL
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA)
- 5 years of progressively responsible accounting and/or financial management and supervisory experience with a focus on accounts receivable and financial analysis
- 1 year providing high level financial advice and recommendations to senior managers in areas such as financial planning, system development and analysis, and development of internal accounting control mechanisms
- Project management experience and familiarity with public sector accounting are strongly preferred
- Experience with the Taxation, Assessment, and Collection System (TACS) is an asset including knowledge of taxation legislation
- Extensive knowledge of financial systems such as SAP
- Considerable knowledge of GAAP in relation to revenues and accounts receivable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Applications
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to liaise with Managers throughout the City and other levels of Government
- High level of analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills to identify and resolve complex financial issues
- Organization, time management, multitasking, and prioritization skills
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Applicants may be tested
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals
This posting is for one temporary, full-time position up to 11 months in duration
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable hours of work program.
Salary: $49.740 - $62.825 (Hourly); $87,629.450 - $110,681.940 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: JF/JC
Classification Title: Senior Accountant
Posting Date: Jun 8, 2017
Closing Date (MDT): Jun 18, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Temporary Full-time
Union: CSU 52
Department: Taxation (Financial and Corporate Services)
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall, 8th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3