Senior Manager, Taxation
The Senior Manager, Taxation is accountable for the performance of EPCOR Utilities Inc.’s taxation function. This includes both ensuring accurate and timely preparation of income and other tax returns, tax provision items for financial reporting purposes, tax-related responsibilities for business develop activities and development and implementation of appropriate tax planning strategies.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Senior Manager, Taxation is accountable for but not limited to:
- Providing input to the Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting Group plans and directions.
- Ensuring business plans and deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining an appropriate organization design, which includes vertical and functional position alignment, clarity of accountabilities and authorities and developing a strong team of accounting professionals.
- Analyzing and identifying issues impacting operational performance and establishing initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Ensuring that EPCOR Utilities Inc.’s taxation standards are developed, revised and implemented on a timely, proper and consistent basis across the company.
- Ensuring compliance with new and existing tax laws and regulations.
- Overseeing accounting for income taxes for EPCOR’s consolidated group of companies and leading tax-related portions of business development projects.
- Overseeing the timely and accurate preparation and submission of all forms of tax filings, returns, remittances, payments or instalments.
- Developing and nurturing a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented organization that is easy to do business with.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
A Business, Finance or Accounting degree from a recognized post-secondary institution is required.
An accredited accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, and CGA) is required.
Completion of the In-Depth Tax Course.
3+ years of managing tax professionals.
6+ years of experience preparing corporate income tax returns.
- Demonstrated ability to apply relevant knowledge to ensure all submissions of tax filings are accurate.
As our best candidate, you are fully committed to the managerial components of your position, including coaching and developing direct reports, and providing timely performance feedback. You are an effective communicator, in both written and oral form. Your listening and coaching skills are exemplary, as well as your well-developed problem solving abilities.
In addition, you possess excellent analytical skills and demonstrated attention to detail. You take initiative and seek opportunities to contribute to the knowledge and success of your team. You also demonstrate a strong work ethic and critical thinking skills.
Hours of work: 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- Five paid personal days off each year
- One Friday off per month
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- EPCOR Savings Plan with company matched contributions
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to