The Accountant position, reports to the Director of Corporate Services and is responsible for various finance responsibilities including but not limited to budget preparation, project costing analysis, tangible capital asset management, preparation of the year end working papers and financial statements, compiling monthly and ad hoc reports for other departments and Council as well as presenting financial reports to Council. This position will be responsible for the full municipal accounting process with an oppourtunity for advancement to the Director of Corporate Services in the future.
- Budget preparation utilizing Questica Software, entering and updating working papers and providing analysis where required.
- Reviewing accounts and preparing reconciliations of the operating, project and capital project accounts.
- Project cost analysis, reconciliation and journal entries as required.
- Reviewing, entering and reconciliation of Tangible Capital Assets.
- Preparation of year-end adjustments, working papers and financial statements, utilizing Great Plains Management Reporter and Caseware software.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting for various departments and Council.
- Assist with the continued training and development of Finance department staff.
- Monitor and enforce financial policies and procedures.
- Provided support and training to City staff for the Great Plains Financial software and Questica Budgeting software.
- Assist in the protection of City asset by monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Present financial information to senior management and Council as required.
Education and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting plus completion of a professional accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in financial accounting and reporting in a municipal environment.
- Extensive experience in computer systems, databases and municipal software (Great Plains – Diamond Municipal Software, Caseware and Questica).
- An extensive knowledge of financial management systems and procedures, specifically in the areas of budgeting, analysis, reconciliation, internal control and reporting.
- Strong customer service focus with proven interpersonal and team building skills with the ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.