As Alberta's 'Botanical Arts City', St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 64,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
The City of St. Albert is seeking a part-time Divisional Controller to assist the Financial Services Department and to support the duties of the other Controllers. Reporting to the Manager of Financial Services, you will be responsible for two major areas: financial accounting and budgeting.
As the Divisional Controller, you will act as a resource by advising on various financial planning projects including the annual budget process, strategic and business planning, performance measurement and forecasting. This includes but not limited to, providing accurate and timely reporting of the division’s financial information including account reconciliations, journal entries, month end and year end reporting and financial statements.
The Controller will coordinate, consolidate and assist with the development of the client department’s operating and capital plans to ensure alignment with overall corporate goals.
This is a temporary position with a term of August to December 31, 2017, with a possibility of extension.
- An undergraduate Degree or Diploma in Business with a major in Accounting or related discipline.
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation.
- 5 or more years experience providing financial expertise and management to a public organization, preferably a municipal setting.
- Previous experience leading and supervising staff.
- Extensive experience in preparation and presentation of year end financial statements, review procedures for financial statements and working papers, fund accounting and GAAP.
- Experience budgeting, forecasting, business modeling in a multi-divisional environment and/or municipal government.
- Qualified applicants must have excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, the ability to work well with people of all levels of responsibility, strong technical and analytical skills.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert Employment website.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.