Legal Aid Alberta is a not-for-profit organization that assists Albertans facing legal issues in navigating the justice system and finding lasting resolution of their legal challenges. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a full time permanent Director of Finance position in our downtown Edmonton office.
Reporting to the VP, Finance & Technology, the Director of Finance has the overall responsibility of controlling, managing, planning and operation of the finance department including accounting, financial reporting, payables, purchasing, facilities, financial audit, banking and commercial insurance.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Timely, accurate financial reporting for internal and external stakeholders;
• Preparation, co-ordination and consolidation of operating and capital budgets for cost management and variance analysis;
• Cash Management and forecasting to maximize revenue and manage cash flows;
• Asset Management to accurately record book value of Fixed Assets and maintain accurate inventory for control purposes;
• Cost Management in administration;
• Implementation and design of accounting systems for efficiency and internal control as well as implementing policies and procedures and reporting to various regulatory agencies and external auditors;
• Support for strategic and operational planning to Leadership Counsel to develop and achieve overall goals of organization;
• Manage the financial department to provide accurate financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis, payables, purchasing and facilities services;
• Maintain partnerships with operating business units to provide ongoing financial service support;
• Provide financial information to Executive and Board to facilitate decision making; and
• Maintain relationships with external support; bank, insurance broker, auditors, Alberta Justice, etc.
Qualifications & Competencies
Education & Experience
• Post-secondary degree in a relevant field;
• Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA or CMA);
• Extensive Financial Reporting experience;
• Minimum of 10 years of related, progressively responsible experience, including 3 years in a direct leadership role;
• Accounting experience in a non profit organization would be an asset; and
• Great Plains experience is an asset.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present financial information to all levels of the organization;
• Sound interpersonal skills;
• Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker;
• Ability to make decisions in a challenging environment and anticipate future needs;
• Results driven, with excellent planning and organizing skills;
• Ability to perform effectively under tight deadlines;
• Strong analytical skills and technical expertise in accounting; and
• Demonstrated ability to improve operations, decrease turnaround times and streamline work.
Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing posting number LAA-17-30. This posting will remain open until 8:00 am August 17, 2017. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.