The Financial Reporting group at Baytex is currently seeking a qualified Senior Financial Accountant to join their team. Reporting directly to the Financial Controller, this individual will be responsible for key components of the financial reporting cycle including preparation and analysis of the consolidated financial statements. Outside of the reporting process this individual will play a key role in ongoing process improvement and will work closely with the finance and operations teams within the Calgary head office. This position will appeal to a candidate who has career aspirations beyond the existing role.
- Management of the monthly financial reporting cycle with associated financial analysis;
- Collaborate with the finance and operations teams to develop and improve accounting and business processes;
- Research and analyze IFRS accounting issues and offer sound accounting advice to management and the audit committee;
- Ownership of complex accounting and financial reporting matters including preparation of calculations and associated analysis;
- Contribute to the preparation of the quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements including the MD&A and Annual Information Form;
- Build effective partnerships with staff throughout the organization and provide analysis and support to the operational business units;
- Ownership of various financial reporting projects such as ESTMA and Corporate Social Responsibility reports;
- Act as a key contact with external auditors during the financial statement audit and quarterly reviews;
- Provide training and mentorship to other members of the finance team;
- Assist in the day to day treasury and banking functions;
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the business by responding to ad hoc requirements for financings or acquisition and divestiture activities, as required.
- Canadian CPA accounting designation with 1 to 5 years of post-designation experience;
- Strong knowledge of financial statement preparation and consolidation concepts;
- Excellent understanding of oil and gas business;
- Detail oriented and takes initiative;
- Confident and effective written and verbal communication;
- Energetic and passionate about their career;
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles; financial reporting, internal controls, and accounting policies and procedures;
- Demonstrated leadership and influencing skills with the ability to get things done;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel;
- Knowledge of Qbyte FM, Optix, Essbase, CS Explorer, and Webfilings would be an asset;
- A team player with a focus on results and continuous improvement.