The Mill Accounting Manager leads the accounting function for Norbord’s mill in High Level, Alberta. This position reports directly to the General Manager of the mill and indirectly to the Director, Finance in Norbord's Corporate office located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This role is an integral part of the site management team. The position offers a diverse and rewarding environment, and provides exposure to senior level decision making as part of the mill leadership team.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage the accounting functionin support of the mill operation by:
- Having a technical and functional knowledge of accounting standards/regulations for publicly traded companies, with specific experience in IFRS and internal controls;
- Setting priorities and being highly responsive to changes that require reprioritization;
- Ensuring accurate and timely financial and statistical reporting and analysis for mill management, the Regional Vice President, and Norbord’s Corporate Office;
- Preparing weekly financial performance estimates, weekly and quarterly forecasts, monthly financial statements, variance analyses, and other ad hoc analyses as required;
- Working with mill leadership team to develop the site annual budget,
- Supporting in the management of the product cost model;
- Having an oversight role on purchasing and supplies management to ensure the best business decisions are being made to control working capital and manage critical equipment/spares;
- Analyzing operational and capital costs and making suggestions for improving performance;
- Analyzing cost-effective equipment sourcing decisions, e.g. lease versus buy decisions;
- Act as a business advisorto the General Manager and the site management team by:
- Serving as a sounding board for the GM on both financial and non-financial issues;
- Being a lateral thinker who is acutely focused on the operations and overall business objectives, which requires thinking beyond the scope of a traditional accounting role.
- Be a part of the teamby:
- Gaining in-depth knowledge of the mill and the many facets of OSB manufacturing in order to provide thoughtful leadership in areas such as best practices, analysis, and cost controls;
- Understanding the overall business to enable valuable insight in mill-level decision making, margin improvement opportunities, capital plans, budgeting/forecasting, etc.;
- Driving initiatives between the mill and Corporate on various business-level continuous improvement objectives.
- Actively participate in and support the management of the High Level OSB facility.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for the OSB operation, and review with site management.
- Prepare weekly and monthly spending and variance analysis reports compared to plan and other benchmark targets; identify expenditure trends and business improvement opportunities.
- Provide hands-on oversight of site inventories, including month-end physical inventory counts.
- Ensure financial records and system controls are in place and operating effectively, in compliance with IFRS and Company policies.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts to General Ledger and resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Provide leadership in the management of working capital, including review and oversight of stores inventory management, and the optimization of payables without negatively impacting operations.
- Help drive the focus on continuous improvement and the sharing of best practices by developing KPIs and analyses that identify opportunity areas; assist in reporting the results of these initiatives.
- Support mill management in fixed asset management by: evaluating financial benefits and payback of capital projects; quantifying expected savings or returns on investment; preparing accurate monthly capital asset continuity schedules including depreciation calculations; and, post- completion project audits.
- Prepare and manage the weekly and monthly forecasting, and the annual budgeting activity for the site.
- Prepare for, manage, and support the site audits – internal and external.
- Actively participate in finance group projects, assuming the role of project leader at the site, in particular with ERP implementation.
- Strong work ethic and sound judgment
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Dynamic and confident personality
- Strong communication skills
- Problem identification, analysis, and solution skills
- Embraces teamwork
- Ability to multitask through planning and organizing
- Flexibility and ability to embrace change
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant management experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with full cycle accounting, cost accounting, and financial analysis
- Completed accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, or CA)
- Familiarity with IFRS
- Experience with computerized accounting systems, including advanced knowledge of Excel