To fulfill its stewardship role, the board has responsibility for:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the strategic, financial and operating plans.
- Overseeing the development by management of a process to identify, manage and monitor the principal risks faced by the Alex.
- Requiring management to implement and maintain appropriate internal controls and management information systems.
- Appointing a chief executive officer and other officers of the Alex, defining management’s duties and limits of authority, overseeing management’s performance and approving its compensation.
- Overseeing management succession and management development plans.
- Requiring management to maintain an effective stakeholder communication program, including a process by which stakeholders and other interested parties may communicate directly with the board or with individual board members.
- Overseeing and approving the Alex’s annual report and its distribution to internal and external stakeholders.
- Appointing an audit committee comprised of three board members who are independent of management and have financial expertise to be responsible, on the board’s behalf, for the oversight of the Alex’s independent auditors.
- Appointing other committees that the board considers necessary to enable it to carry out its responsibilities effectively, and to delegate to those committees any of the powers of the board it deems appropriate.
- Adopting, amending or repealing by-laws of the Alex and monitoring the Alex’s compliance with those by-laws and with its statutory and fiduciary obligations.
- Adopting or amending the Alex’s code of ethics and monitoring the Alex’s compliance with that code.
- Promoting the key messages of the Alex to increase awareness and generate fund development opportunities.
- Other decisions that are required to be made by the board of directors, or as may be reserved by the board of directors, to be made by itself and are not otherwise delegated to a committee of the board of directors or to management.
It is expected that Board members contribute to the Alex’s Board in the following manner:
- Attend and participate in at least 75% of the regularly scheduled Board Meetings;Board meetings are normally held on the last Monday of the month, 6 to 8 times per year;
- A Board meeting will normally last 2 hours with 30 – 60 minutes of preparation in advance;
- Participate on at least 1 Board Committee and attend 75% of the regularly scheduled Board Committee meetings. Board Committee Meetings are held between 2 and 4 times per year and will last 60 – 90 minutes;
- Attend a minimum of 2 events organized by and/or sponsored by the Alex; and
- Contribute financially towards the Alex either by purchasing event tickets or otherwise by making an annual cash contribution.
You are passionate about the delivery of healthcare and housing to marginalized and vulnerable Calgarians.
We value both the lived and professional experience of our Board members, and are committed to fostering a board that reflects our community’s diversity of ability, gender, age, income, and ethnicity.
We are currently seeking candidates with experience in accounting and financial management, fundraising, health care management, board governance and/or human resources. We are looking for individuals of all abilities who already have some Board experience and are comfortable with taking an Executive role if needed.