One Permanent, Full-Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Financial Reporting team.
The Senior Manager Financial Reporting has overall accountability for Capital Power’s external and internal financial reporting including external financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis (MD&A). This includes developing, implementing, operating and maintaining systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying, and reporting financial and accounting information as well providing formal people leadership and guidance to a team of financial/ accounting professionals in delivering these results.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Overseeing the work of the Financial Reporting team and oversight of financial reporting. This includes the coordination of the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of underlying accounting data and preparation of financial statements and MD&A, the review of working papers provided to external auditors, developing and maintaining quarterly and annual reporting calendars (including all reporting deadlines), maintenance of the chart of accounts, maintenance of the company's accounting policies, coordination of external audits and preparation of other external reporting requirements.
- Managing of highly complex accounting and financial projects from start to finish including managing project teams (which may include internal and external resources) and taking full ownership for project results. Typical projects include the implementation of new accounting processes/ policies/ procedures such as implementation of new accounting standards or related systems.
- Accountability for the management of the Financial Reporting team including staffing decisions, work load management and planning, communicating job expectations and performance management and evaluation.
- Identifying and recommending potential financial system improvements, including Oracle ERP and Business Intelligence (BI) and making recommendations on maintenance and optimization.
- Guiding other departments within Capital Power by researching and interpreting accounting policies and treatments, applying observations and recommendations to highly complex, specialized or unprecedented financial operational issues, and ensuring all Financial Reporting issues are resolved including all accounting/financial issues as well as employee issues.
- Identifying opportunities within systems or manual processes or accounting changes and making recommendations for new/ improved processes/ policies/ procedures/ controls. This includes guiding and supporting the Financial Reporting team in focusing on innovation/ continuous improvements and bringing forward proposals for process improvements as well as acting as a thought leader in the area of general accounting and finance.
- Providing input into and identifying opportunities for organizational change from a Financial Reporting perspective, communicating and implementing any changes related to Financial Reporting, ensuring direct reports are doing the same with their employees and reinforcing strategic changes positively across team.
- Maintaining accounting controls by establishing and maintaining cost effective accounting processes, policies and procedures, maintaining financial security by establishing and maintaining internal controls and ensuring completion of actions arising from external and internal audits.
- Playing a significant role in risk management by ensuring legal compliance, providing needed reporting and documentation, and implementing adequate controls. This includes understanding current and proposed legislation, ensuring the application of current accounting standards, protecting the organization's value by keeping information confidential, ensuring all external reporting is thoroughly reviewed by appropriate internal experts and holding external auditors / advisors accountable for delivery of audit and related services.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with peers and staff within the Controller group and with Senior Managers and VPs across all Capital Power departments where interaction with accounting/ finance is required.
- Collaborating with the business development and forecasting and analytics teams on new business opportunities to ensure accounting for new ventures is researched and understood.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with senior-level external auditors and other financial/ accounting advisors such as consultants or experts.
- Acting as a mentor and role model for Accounting/ Financial employees including the managers reporting to this role. This includes developing, training, mentoring, and counseling Financial Reporting employees, and working with the Financial Reporting group to create individual development plans that will best enable professional growth for each individual.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma (in Business, preferred), Canadian CPA (CA, CGA, CMA) accounting designation required.
- 5-10 years of advanced financial reporting, financial accounting/finance experience including at least 5-7 years of progressively senior management/leadership experience
- Advanced financial reporting, advanced financial accounting and analysis including consolidations, advanced knowledge of Canadian accounting standards including business combinations, foreign currency accounting, lease accounting and financial instrument accounting, strong understanding of chart of accounts design and management, advanced knowledge of Canadian securities law reporting requirements, working knowledge of US accounting standards, ability to research and implement new or changed accounting standards, budget development, advanced auditing, project management, people management, coaching and development, Oracle, MS Office suite including advanced Excel; experience in power generation or other capital intensive resource based industry is an asset.
To apply for this position please visit www.capitalpowerjobs.com and search for IRC4876