Helping Albertans achieve their dreams by turning the complex world of banking into brilliantly simple solutions. That’s ATB. Is that you?
Senior Manager Operational Risk
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Risk Management, the primary focus of this role is to:
- Identify, respond to, challenge, report and monitor risks in a changing environment while aiding in the execution of ATB’s strategic plan of transforming banking;
- Develop and execute a strong operational risk management (ORM) program across an assigned area.
- Provide independent oversight and actionable recommendations to ensure the business units operate within the parameters of their risk appetite statements. This includes but is not limited to risk categories such as operational risk, cyber risk, and regulatory risk.
You will be a Strategic Partner by:
- Supporting the implementation of the ORM Framework and tools by providing oversight through:
- Reviewing and providing effective challenge of the annual Risk and Control Assessments (RCAs) to ensure that the risks are mitigated in line with the Enterprise and business unit risk appetite
- Completing root cause analysis and ensuring remediation activities are appropriate
- Reviewing, providing effective challenge, facilitating stakeholder engagement and feedback to the business to ensure that new initiatives are governed in accordance with ATB’s New Initiative Risk Assessment Process (NIRAP). This includes providing timely feedback and being agile to the fast changing business environment
- Supporting the development and roll out of the enterprise Segregation of Duties (SoD) operating program
- Providing subject matter expertise in respect to risk assessment methodologies and tools
- Aiding in the development of quarterly operational risk reports to Senior Management and the Board by summarizing the results of the operational risk analysis and developing the risk profile of business units to formulate an enterprise view on operational risk.
- Communicating extensively and building relationships with internal stakeholders including the Executive and Senior Management and Business Process Owners
- Supporting the development of sound risk knowledge across the organization through maintaining the effectiveness of operational risk policies and procedures and training embedded Risk Managers where required
- Utilizing business documentation such as audit reports, strategic business unit objectives, previous risk assessments, Internal Controls Over Financial Reporting (ICOFR) control documentation, in order to align with and leverage the work performed by other control pillars in the organization
- Monitoring industry leading practices for operational risk management and provide feedback to improve operational risk management methodologies and approach
You will support the implementation of Basel III by:
- Assessing whether ATB’s practices (non-quantitative aspects) meet our regulators expectations for estimating operational risk losses under stress in accordance with the relevant regulatory guidelines and industry leading practice.
- Assessing whether Operational Risk capital held under Pillar II, is appropriate for the operational risk profiles of the business unit.
You will support the development of area specific risk appetite statements and key risk indicators (KRIs) by:
- Monitoring and challenging the reporting of KRIs on a quarterly basis.
You will support Business Resiliency through:
- Oversight and reporting on the business continuity plan (BCP), providing business impact analysis and BCP testing status for business units and functional groups.
- Contribute to the ongoing design and maintenance of the enterprise BCM program
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- Degree in Finance, Economics or Business Administration
- Professional designation such as a CA, CISA or CIA is required
- 4-6 years of experience in processes, risks and controls with a solid understanding of Risk Management techniques (such as ISO 31000 and supporting guidance)
- Solid experience with risk management practices such as risk and control assessments, internal loss data, and key risk indicators
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify complex issues and propose solutions
- Exceptional skills in communicating appropriately with and influencing people at various levels and backgrounds, even if they have differing viewpoints.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including the ability to identify, prioritize, frame, and clearly articulate material issues that reflect positions/concerns.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple, sometimes changing priorities
- Excellent collaboration skills shown through consistent information sharing and effective working relationships with others and building relationships with cross-functional teams at all levels
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects and deliver results in a rapidly changing environment.
- Solid decision-making skills regarding core risk management responsibilities, requiring only limited guidance and oversight.
- Previous banking experience is preferred
So what can ATB Financial offer you? Imagine paying less for your everyday banking, mortgages, loans and investments. Throw in an excellent benefits and pension package, opportunities for career advancement, and a financial institution that’s leading the way in change – now you’re talking about a career with a company that allows you to grow. As an award-winning employer-of-choice – we have the best of the best working for Albertans. Sound like a team you want to be a part of?
Advancement. Fun. Rewards… We get it.
To learn more visit atb.com.
To read our employer reviews visit our Glassdoor page.
Online applications are preferred. ATB Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the high number of resumes we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For additional information on this posting, please contact Janice Barbieri, Director, Enterprise Risk Management. [Note: please apply using our online system and not the contact's email address].