Assistant Director, Accounting - Permanent
Central Services - Financial Services
For a more in-depth job description and to apply for this position within Elk Island Public Schools, please visit www.eips.ca/careers (Competition 2135777)
Do you have a passion for excellence in public education? We’re looking for someone who can inspire a team of people committed to helping set our students on the path to success!
Elk Island Public Schools is looking for a strong leader who can find financial efficiencies, provide sound advice and direction to clients, and inspire employees to grow in their roles. The successful applicant will be a highly organized critical thinker, and willing to listen actively and offer guidance as required. Your CPA designation and minimum of 5 years of experience, with a background in management, will equip you with the skills to deal with a dynamic work environment.
If you have a stellar reputation for problem solving, a clear understanding of the need for collaboration and are seeking a fulfilling challenge, a job at Elk Island Public Schools could be perfect for you.
Our Division is the sixth largest in the province, serving over 17,000 students at more than 40 schools. As leaders in education, we flourish in a culture of life-long learning and provide excellent development opportunities to our employees. The position is located in Sherwood Park, Alberta, a thriving community just minutes from Edmonton.
Commencing November 20, 2017
Open to: Internal and external candidates
Assistant Director, Accounting
- Ensure financial reporting and processes are timely, accurate, and in accordance with Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Alberta Education Guidelines and relevant legislation.
- Lead the preparation of financial results including interim financial reports and year-end audited financial statements.
- Lead the annual interim and year-end audit plans, maintain positive relationships with the external auditors and ensure the necessary processes are followed to obtain a clean audit opinion.
- Lead the completion of statutory reporting requirements, including the Charitable Tax Return, WCB Return and T4A taxable income slips.
- Plan, develop, maintain and implement accounting and computer systems to provide accurate information to a variety of stakeholders within EIPS as well as parents, Alberta Education, auditors and other external parties.
- Monitor, review, revise, recommend and implement Board policies and Division Administrative Procedures related to financial functions.
- Provide financial direction and leadership within Financial Services and to the Division as a whole.
- Lead or participate on various committees within the Division to provide financial expertise and advice.
- Train, coach, evaluate, and monitor the progress of direct reports on a regular and proactive basis.
Education and Experience: (Equivalencies will be considered)
- CPA Designation
- Minimum of 5 years related experience, including management
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Providing Consultation and Advice to Others - Providing guidance and expert advice to management or other groups on financial, systems or process-related topics.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.