As a member of both the Finance management team and the business unit management team the Divisional Controller (DC) is the primary interface between the Finance shared service department and the business unit. The DC reports to the Vice President, Finance SCM Insurance Services, however the DC is also accountable to the business unit President and is a trusted business advisor on financial matters, including financial and management analysis, KPI development and reporting, business planning and budget and strategic planning.
As the primary Finance interface, the DC supports all operational elements of the business to ensure financial management business practices are implemented and followed and are consistent with practices established corporately by SCM. In collaboration with the Director of Accounting Services, the DC is responsible for timely and accurate financial and management reporting and the day-to-day Finance department activities of the business unit.
- Supporting the business unit by bringing financial acumen to the day-to-day operations and the business unit management team;
- Triage Finance (A/R, A/P and Payroll) related issues from the business to Finance and vice versa;
- Developing and reporting KPI’s to assist in day-to-day management of the business and monitoring of the business by SCM management and SCM ownership;
- Working directly with the business unit management to complete the annual budget and monthly reporting/forecasting process;
- Maintaining financial controls specific to the business unit and as established by SCM corporately;
- Ensuring business systems accurately capture and control the financial and business data necessary for reporting and continuity of operations;
- Implementing and monitoring a system of cost controls including reviewing and approving expenditures ensuring accurate account allocations and compliance with budgets, forecasts and SCM policy;
- Working with the Financial Planning & Analysis Group manage the monthly close process including preparation of reconciliations, monthly statements and internal reporting packages for distribution within the division and for inclusion in SCM’s consolidated reporting;
- Preparing financial statements and recommending accounting policies and practices ensuring adherence to IFRS;
- Acting as the primary contact for financial audits and externally required financial and regulatory information related to the business unit;
- Supporting the business unit management team on RFPs, analysis in areas such as customers, compensation, commission, assessor payments, cost benefit and ROI;
- Assisting the VP Mergers & Acquisition and CFO as appropriate with acquisition transactions and integration;
- Assisting the VP PMO & ERM and CFO as appropriate with projects;
- Identifying and developing recommendations and assistance in the implementation of process improvements both within the business and within Finance;
Qualifications and Experience
- It is anticipated that the successful candidate will have a university degree in a business discipline along with an accounting designation and 3-5 years post-designation experience.
- The ideal candidate will have worked in a similar capacity for a minimum of 2 years.
- Strong computer literacy and excellent communication skills (written and oral) should be complemented with the ability to work effectively in a matrix structure and with a broad range of personalities and management styles.
- Willingness to travel to Toronto on a quarterly basis.
This individual will possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills. In addition, the successful candidate will be analytical, detailed, organized, collaborative and decisive and will display considerable confidence and credibility in providing an important contribution to the success of the organization.
SCM Insurance Services and affiliates welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the recruitment and assessment process.