PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Senior Manager / Manager Forensic Audit and Investigations you will be carrying out forensic audits and investigations, quantifying damages and recoveries, advising on fraud risk management and dealing with regulatory and similar assignments. Reporting to the Director, Forensic Audit and Investigations, with the need to continuously adapt and evolve to keep ahead of fraud trends/risks and emerging schemes, the Senior Manager / Manager will be responsible for leading change in partnership with other business areas such as Legal, Human Resources, etc.
- Lead/conduct forensic audits and investigations in all areas (financial, operational and information systems) to assess deficiencies/anomalies/fraudulent transactions, evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of management controls to ensure operating objectives are achieved, financial statements are reliable and the company is in compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of controls, accuracy of financial records and efficiency of operational duties including analyzing data obtained for deficiencies in controls, anomalies/fraudulent transactions or lack of compliance with contract terms, regulations and/or company policies/management procedures;
- Prepare reports of findings for management and make recommendations for improving operational efficiency, effectiveness and cost control;
- Facilitate documentation of procedures and audit/investigation progress; prepare materials for discussion with the Director of Forensic Audit and Investigations, Chief Risk Officer, Audit Committee of the Board, external auditors and senior management as required;
- Ensure Sarbanes-Oxley compliance; provide direction and leadership for internal resources and external consultants;
- Review policies and procedures, design work programs, develop audit tests and assign audit tasks to the team as required;
- Develop and apply effective project leadership skills regarding task assignment and mentoring, interim performance evaluation and coaching, project pacing and control;
- Report audit/investigation findings through clear, concise and detailed reports including conclusions and recommendations for improvements to business processes and internal controls;
- Provide strategic direction on assignments and coaching to Internal / forensic auditor(s); work with lawyers and/or CP Police Services (law enforcement authorities) on sensitive/high profile cases as required;
- Develop trusted business advisory/coaching relationships with all levels of management and be an expert witness as required
- Assist in the facilitation of the external audit, if required.
- Must possess a University degree in Business, Accounting or Finance plus professional designation (CA/CPA, CPA (US), CMA, CGA, CIA) and/or CFE; equivalent combination of education and work experience would also be considered;
- Securities Exchange Commission experience preferred;
- Must possess ten years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years of proven experience in forensic investigation demonstrating the ability to lead and/or conduct audits of moderate complexity is required;
- Knowledge of internal controls assessment, documentation, and testing of required standards is required;
- Strong, proficient auditing and analytical skills; strong control mindset, confidentiality in all work and the ability to remain objective and independent;
- Solid knowledge of investigation standards, methods, procedures and techniques, experience in internal corporate investigations required;
- Excellent judgment and strong decision making skills; ability to interface with Management and work well in a team environment, be curious, share, innovative, demonstrate courage and integrity;
- Possess excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks (must be efficient, flexible and able to adapt to change); demonstrated attention-to-detail skills with the ability to work independently and take initiative on department projects;
- Skilled in delivering training and acting as a trusted advisor to all levels of management;
- A strong ability to analyze and summarize issues/findings, particularly when lines are blurred; experience in assessing and quantifying losses and recoveries;
- Proven ability to manage work and personal priorities to respond effectively to high priority assignments;
- Reports will be of high quality and in compliance with CP, Association of Certified Fraud Examiner (ACFE) and Institute of Internal Auditors standards;
- Knowledge of GAAP, GAAS and regulatory standards is required;
- Willingness and ability to travel as required;
- Possess advanced computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint); experience with data mining software/tools would be an asset;
- Must demonstrate professionalism and confidently present audit results in an objective and unbiased manner;
- Must be able to present and maintain a professional standard on difficult issues with little or no guidance.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").