Finance Manager, Corporate Accounting and Reporting, Capital
Job Number: 31279
Financial & Corporate Services provides expertise and brings a corporate perspective as we work in partnership with operating areas to deliver programs and services to Edmontonians.
Working within the Corporate Accounting - Capital section of Financial and Corporate Services, the Finance Manager will lead a team of accounting professionals that are responsible for the accounting functions related to projects in the Capital Budget, including project accounting, coordinating the completion of the working papers that support the consolidated financial statements, Annual Financial Report, and the Financial Information Return.
The Finance Manager will use their accounting knowledge and expertise to identify, research, and proactively resolve financial issues, providing options and recommended solutions and balance knowledge of the accounting standards, professional and legislative requirements.
The Finance Manager will supervise a team of 12 accounting staff at the accountant and Senior Accountant level. As the Finance Manager, Corporate Accounting and Reporting, Capital you will:
- Provide leadership, direction, guidance, and supervision to staff by communicating department vision, work, values, and core deliverables
- Ensure staff have the knowledge, skills and resources needed to perform their roles successfully with satisfaction
- Motivate staff to high levels of performance, promoting continuous improvement and ensuring a reputation of excellence in service
- Coordinate and supervise the general accounting functions relating to the Capital Budget of the City of Edmonton by assisting in establishing processes and internal controls to ensure the integrity of financial information
- Oversee the preparation of the capital working papers as well as supporting any financial information in the statistics portion of the annual report from Statistics Canada
- Develop and oversee year-end processes, procedures, and deadlines to ensure the provision of accurate non-consolidated financial information related to quarterly capital performance reporting and the annual consolidated financial results of the City
- Oversee the continuous improvement process for the general accounting function by analyzing successes and challenges related to year-end processes, month end process and reporting, and debriefing finance team members and recommending and/or implementing changes to facilitate a more effective and efficient monthly, quarter, and year-end processes
- Liaise and coordinate with external auditors as required
- Research, review business facts, and apply professional judgement within the framework of accounting requirements to identify options and provide advice of financial staff and others throughout the City of Edmonton on routine and non-routine matters associated with capital accounting and reporting in a municipal environment
- Consult with business areas to ensure they understand the impact of changes in policies and procedures on the financial results of their respective areas
- University Degree majoring in Accounting or Finance
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) is required
- Eight (8+) years of related and progressively responsible financial management experience, including knowledge in the area of financial performance reporting and full-cycle accounting
- Strong leadership and human resource management skills including performance improvement and team building
- Extensive knowledge in the area of strategic planning, budgeting, and financial reporting at a corporate level in a large, complex organization
- Significant experience and knowledge in planning, preparing and reviewing working papers and other financial documentation to support a financial statement audit
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate and work effectively with all levels of management and staff across the organization and external to the organization
- Superior skills in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal ability in dealing with the senior management, and department financial and non-financial business partners
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $110,090 - $137,619 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: JM/IS
Classification Title: Corporate Financial Manager
Posting Date: Jan 30, 2018
Closing Date: Feb 13, 2018 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Corporate Accounting - Capital (Financial and Corporate Services)
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall, 4th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3