Maskwacis Education School Commission (MESC) is a new education authority mandated to operate 11 schools across 4 distinct First Nations in central Alberta - Ermineskin Cree Nation, Louis Bull Tribe, Montana First Nation and Samson Cree Nation. In preparation to the official opening of the education authority, MESC invites applications from energetic and detail oriented accounting professionals with duties expected to commence on a mutually agreed upon date.
As an Intermediate Accountant your role will be to support the day to day function of accounts payable, payroll, general accounting functions and support the Director of Finance with other aspects of accounting and financial reporting as assigned.
Over the coming months, the successful candidate will also be involved in implementing the finance module within atrieveERP software package (e.g. assisting with the development and documentation of accounting/finance processes, creating user training documentation for school staff etc.).
Once the finance system is fully implemented, the ongoing responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the daily operational activities to ensure financial accountability is being met according to the purchasing policies and procedures.
- Provide support and guidance to Accounts Payable Clerk and Payroll Administrator.
- Monthly reconciliation of bank statements, general ledger accounts and reallocations.
- Reviewing purchase orders, monitoring, and ensuring proper coding for posting to the General Ledger.
- Providing support to schools with accounts payable related questions.
- Maintaining and updating annual budget information into atrieveERP to enable management to track spending against the approved budget.
- Working with Director of Finance to prepare year end working papers.
- Performing other functions as requested by the Director of Finance.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Post-Secondary Education is preferable with a general understanding of accounting principles or a combination of experience and education.
- 2+ years of experience performing full accounting cycle functions.
- Experience using accounting software and Microsoft Office products.
- Post-secondary training in business administration is preferable.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation is an asset.
- First Nations experience is an asset.
Salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.