If we had to guess, we’d say you’re probably reading this sitting in an office, or in your home, or in a coffee shop somewhere. Likely you’re reading it on a computer or tablet or phone, which was made in a factory and shipped via an air or sea port, and then transported by land in a truck or train to a retail store near you. Less likely, you might be reading this on a piece of paper printed with a laser printer.
Why is that important? Because the construction industry made it possible.
It built the office, your home or the coffee shop. It built the factories in which the computer/tablet/phone and printer were manufactured; and it built the mills, ports and roads which made the paper and our transportation infrastructure possible.
The construction industry is everywhere, and our client is a proud member of the industry.
However, the construction industry has a problem: productivity in construction is lower in 2018 than it was in 1970!
According to the McKinsey Global Institute (Feb 2017 - Reinventing Construction), construction is a $10 trillion global annual spend (13% of GDP) with waste of $1.6 trillion.
There are potential cost savings of 27-38% based on seven improvement areas MGI have identified. Further, 14-21% of these savings are firm-level, i.e. not dependent on changing industry dynamics. An additional 13-17% savings are dependent on industry dynamics, but could be captured by a change in Marketing Strategy.
Our client’s target market already moves them in the right direction to capture these opportunities, and we need your help to realize the opportunities and fix the industry.
Who we are
Our client is a rapidly growing, project focused, MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) contractor. Their niche is working on unconventional projects.
They are a part of the minority of construction companies trying to solve the productivity challenge; to modernize and professionalize their industry and increase its viability and profitability.
Their vision is to Transform MEP Construction, and their mission is to maximize customer value through relentless process improvement.
Their passion is Building Something Great.
Their values are: Be Fearless, Pursue Excellence, Practice Discipline, Earn Trust, Build Community, and Celebrate Success.
They thrive on projects other teams find too challenging (remote, unique installations, fast-track, design-build, P3, etc.). There isn’t a box that they won’t look outside of.
They focus on team success and rely on intelligent planning, collaboration and innovation to generate positive project results.
If you want to join this evolution - if positive, constructive, change interests and excites you - we invite you to apply.
We are looking for a financial and accounting leader to work in a controllership role in their Spruce Grove, AB office.
Reporting to the CEO/CFO based in Yellowknife, you will actively support their Passion, Vision, Mission and Values.
Your responsibilities include all aspects of financial and legal risk management including but not limited to:
- Corporate accounting,
- Regulatory and financial reporting
- Budget and forecasts preparation
- Internal performance metrics development and communication,
- Oversight of IT systems,
- Development of internal control policies and procedures.
They will help you grow, while continuously challenging you to innovate and help them to grow in return.
They believe in work-life balance, but they want you to know this is not a 9-5 gig.
They offer a total compensation package including a competitive salary, company benefit plan, and investment in continuous professional development.
- You have a CPA or are well on your way to becoming a CPA.
- Your background prepares you to be comfortable with management and financial accounting.
- Your references and past work experience clearly demonstrate how you have lived the organization’s values.
- You seek out opportunities for personal and professional improvement and have “learned-how-to-learn.”
- You are customer focused and results driven and can motivate your team to excel.
- You are equally comfortable with the day-to-day details and the big picture.
- You have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to generate success for the organization and yourself.
- You have an interest in and aptitude for forecasting, financial modeling and the development of leading financial and operational indicators for internal and external purposes.
- You can work remotely and lead and coach your team, giving them the opportunity to solve problems independently and providing support when necessary.
- You are committed to developing your team through evaluation, training, coaching, and providing feedback.
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills and can work with customers at all levels (senior managers, project managers, site supervisors, customer contacts, electrical supervisors and other applicable on-site trades.)
- You manage conflict and build relationships to achieve results.
- You stand behind your work; you hold yourself accountable for your decisions and mistakes and are quick to correct them when necessary.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above criteria, please click the Apply button to send your resume AND cover letter describing why you would be a good fit in confidence directly to Landon Leclair, Recruiter, Aplin Accounting & Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. #LI-EDM