Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant / General Accountant is responsible for full cycle accounting tasks as well as general Human Resources and Administrative Support functions of a strategic business unit in USA. This hands-on position works closely with staff as well as managers of different departments. In the all-encompassing, hands on role, the position ensures the integrity of accounting information by researching account issues for compliance, recording, verifying, and entering transactions. Establish quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Implements and maintains a process for ensuring the integrity of monthly financial reports, the ongoing general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Managing the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts and reconcile to GL.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of intercompany account balances.
- Receive and process vendor invoices into accounts payable system.
- Liaise with operations and receive tickets and process customer invoices and enter same into accounts receivable system. Monitor accounts receivables and collections.
- Processing cheque runs.
- Bank deposits and bank reconciliations.
- Post custom general journal entries.
- Liaise with operations and get tickets to prepare Semi-monthly payroll, IRS/CRA reporting and source deductions and related functions.
- WCB statistics and annual return.
- IRS/CRA normal reporting and issues.
- Coordinate with operations on filed staff recruiting and staffing logistics.
- Manage employment and compliance to regulatory concerns and reporting.
- Administer employee relations, compensation and benefits administration.
- In liaison with controller, mange the month end close process including setting the time table, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of journal entries, reviewing month-end binder and supporting working papers.
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual budget.
- Provides technical support to operations personnel regarding accounting and financial reporting system issues.
- Miscellaneous office management duties to ensure sanity of the office with availability of necessary provisions, filling and general organization.
- Protects and maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Review and recommend modifications to data bases, accounting systems, financial and general administrative procedures manual and updates as needed to be consistent.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- The person in this position needs to follow a team concept and support both organizational goals and co-workers. Employee must be able to effectively work with and be respectful and sensitive to persons from various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Individual must be highly motivated and analytical thinker who can work through complex problems and with great respect for deadlines.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and use expertise to teach, help and give advice
- Experience with SAGE 300 would be considered an asset.
- Proficient skill set in Microsoft Excel and Word.
Minimum of a college degree in accounting or equivalent is required, with a minimum of five years’ experience working as an accountant. A recognized USA or Canadian designation or working towards one is an asset.