About the Department of Finance and Risk Management
The Department of Finance and Risk Management is a department of approximately 45 employees including professional accountants, risk and supply chain directors and individual specialists, as well as support and general personnel leading and providing specific services. The Director of Financial Operations is a senior level management role within the department, with leadership responsibility for ensuring the effective and efficient institutional financial operations functions.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the Associate Vice-President, Finance and Risk Management, the Director of Financial Operations is responsible for the oversight and leadership of a team of financial professionals to define the vision, prioritize departmental and divisional objectives to align with the institutional strategic plan and ensure the effective and efficient financial operations support the university’s mandate.
- Oversee and ensure the provision of timely, reliable and informative institutional financial reporting to all internal and external decision makers, governments and related industry bodies for the purpose of operational and strategic decision making
- Direct oversight for all investment, treasury, liquidity and debt reporting
- Oversee the effective management of the institutional investment portfolio and ensure policy compliance and reporting to the Board of Governors
- Oversee the external financial audit by the Auditor General of Alberta as well as all other external financial audits (i.e. CRA, GST compliance)
- Oversee the management of institution’s financial system of record with oversight of all external and internal financial reporting analysis
- Direct oversight for all institutional commerce and retail activities including compliance with related standards and legislation
- Oversee the effective management of all student account interpretations and required adherence to the provincial tuition fee legislation with appropriate and required student communication
- Develop student account policy to ensure changes to tuition fee management are accurately captured and effectively communicated throughout the university
- Management of all systems of financial record through maintenance of a reliable and responsive institutional system of internal controls
- Capital asset record management with ensuring appropriate safeguarding of capital assets
- Collaborate with the Finance and Risk Management team to define the vision, priorities and objectives for the department while ensuring alignment to Institutional strategic objectives
- Execute financial operational objectives communicated to the senior executive
- Current professional accounting designation plus an undergraduate or Master’s degree in a related discipline preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 10 to 15 years of senior management experience within Financial Operations including experience and expertise in technical accounting interpretation, financial reporting and analysis, full cycle accounting in a complex organization, external audit management, investment management and internal controls
- Experience working in a post-secondary environment and/or a complex public sector environment is an asset
- Strong background in all areas of Financial Operations with at least 5 years of direct experience in external audit, financial reporting and managing the administration of financial and accounting system of internal controls within a complex business environment
- Demonstrated record of successfully developing and executing Financial Operations plans
- Excellent leadership, communication, decision making, problem solving, conflict resolution and planning skills
The ideal candidate will also possess the following characteristics:
- Long-term vision and demonstrated ability to lead a diverse team for organizational efficiency and effectiveness
- Ability to work collaboratively at all levels in the organization
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work with limited direction and devise operational processes from broad objectives.
- Desire and ability to mentor others
- Customer/client focus
To Apply: Please Visit Our Career Opportunities Page at https://www.mtroyal.ca/EmploymentCareers/HumanResources/CareerOpportunities/
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf formatted document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Job Title], [Requisition Number].pdf (ex. Coordinator, 999999.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.