General Manager, Chief Financial Officer - Finance
This exciting position is a strategic leader and ambassador of the City of Moncton. A visionary leader with experience in the private or public sector, you are a creative problem solver that will champion the mission, vision and organizational behaviors to foster a forward thinking and positive workplace culture.
This position is accountable for the effective leadership, organization, and execution of all functions of the Finance Department. The General Manager of Finance directs all financial activities of the Corporation with the goal of optimizing the long-term financial planning of the City. The General Manager of Finance provides financial advice to Council and its committees, the City Manager and City departments on all corporate initiatives, coordinates the preparation of annual budgets and fulfills all statutory duties. Continuous operational improvements, effective controls of revenue and expenditures, along with integrated policies, are cornerstone of the position. The incumbent also leads and manages at team of the Finance, Accounting and Purchasing sections.
This position reports directly to the City Manager, and indirectly to City Council. This position is a key member of the City’s leadership team.
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- University Graduate with a Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration or other related discipline. Must possess a professional accounting designation (preferably a CPA).
- Must have at least ten (10) year’s experience in financial management in a large corporation or government environment with at least five (5) year’s experience in a senior role leading and managing people and dealing with financial policy decisions that impact a large stakeholder base.
- Demonstrated experience leading transformational change, utilizing systems thinking approach to improve the effectiveness of the finance function and make recommendations on areas to improve.
- Experience working in a political environment is an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both languages (oral; English and French) is required. Must meet INTERMEDIATE (2) Level as per the Province of New Brunswick Linguistic Standards in both languages as a minimum requirement.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to manage by objectives and for results.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma methodologies and tools would be considered an asset.
- Ability to develop solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to facilitate meetings and groups through demonstrated experience.
- The ability to delegate effectively.
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Capable of establishing and maintaining a team environment.
- Requires a high level of tact and diplomacy when representing the department and organization in discussions with government agencies, business representatives, associations, public, etc.
- Must work long hours when need arises and be able to cope with stressful conditions. Must attend all public and private council meetings. Must have good visual skills and must be organized. Travel requirement is minimal.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall. To obtain more information, please contact Johanna Klompmaker, Manager, Recruitment and Employment at (506) 853-3520.
CLOSING DATE: NOON – FEBRUARY 28, 2018
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those scheduled for interviews will be contacted)