Senior Financial Analyst, Financial Reporting, Finance
The Department of Financial Reporting within Finance is currently seeking two Full-time Regular Senior Financial Analysts.
This position reports to the Associate Director, Financial Reporting, and will deal with multiple and competing deadlines from all areas of the University and therefore must have the flexibility to shift priorities immediately. The work takes place in an environment where there is ambiguity, continuous change (constantly changing systems and processes) and shifting priorities (budgets, interim financial reporting, management reporting).
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Perform professional, complex accounting work in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and reporting requirements, requiring advanced knowledge of complex accounting principles related to Public Sector Accounting Standards
- Conduct analysis on key concerns of senior management quickly and knowledgeably
- Prepare financial information, forecasts, reports and analysis to meet the needs of Board of Governors, Committees, Senior Executive, Faculties and Departments, as directed by the financial reporting group
- Analyze financial results and forecasts for accuracy, investigate suspect data and make adjustments. Develop working relationships with budget units to gain understanding of unit level processes, issues and variances from budget or expected results
- Perform business analysis and detailed specifications so that new financial tools can be used to analyze, display and report financial data from multiple sources
- Develop expertise in various software applications to assist in the preparation of financial reports and analysis
- Prepare annual reports to various agencies including: Advanced Education, CAUBO and other external stakeholder organizations which affect funding provided and the University's ranking when compared to like institutions
- Contribute to analyzing and re-engineering business processes and policies to streamline and systemize reporting requirements and accounting issues
- Resolve ad hoc issues and analysis, including situations where provided with limited identification of issues. Research issues, ensure completeness of issues, involve multiple interested parties in the issue, make recommendations to solve the issue, develop procedures, practices and software applications to implement the solution and test the results. Balance conflicting needs of many stakeholders in recommendations
- In some situations, directly supervise accounting clerks. Monitor their work for accuracy and completeness. Evaluate their performance and provide training and guidance
- Coach, mentor and advise Business Officers, Business Managers, etc., on accounting and compliance issues
- Provide training to less experienced accountants, both within Financial Services and in the University community
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA)
- A related university degree
- 5+ years work experience in various accounting and analyst functions
- Expertise in highly complex and technical financial concepts
- Intermediate to Expert user of computer software applications, including Excel, SAGE 300, PeopleSoft query and Cognos, including data warehousing and business intelligence tools
- Supervisory experience and ability to provide direction and leadership to staff
- A working knowledge of CaseWare would be an asset
Application Deadline: February 8, 2018
To apply please visit the University of Calgary's Careers page, Job Opening 14737.
This position is classified in the Professional Career Band, Level 3 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.