Headwater Learning Foundation (HLF) is currently accepting applications for a full-time Comptroller, beginning March 1.
HLF is a registered charity under the Income Tax Act whose objectives are to promote, foster and maintain a high quality of education at Calgary Academy Society (Calgary Academy), and to support Headwater Learning Solutions (HLS). HLF, Calgary Academy and HLS are considered related by the virtue of the board members of the organizations being the same.
About Calgary Academy:
For more than 30 years, Calgary Academy (CA) has provided an unparalleled environment that embraces students’ unique learning needs, while simultaneously inspiring them to achieve their potential. Our academic program has two streams: Academy, for students with learning difficulties struggling to consistently perform at grade level, and Collegiate, for students performing at or above grade level and looking for new challenges in their learning. Together, our two programs combine to create a vibrant learning community.
Our approach provides a safe, secure, predictable learning environment where compassionate teachers enable students to realize their full academic potential, achieve independence as learners, experience social success, and strengthen their self-esteem and self-confidence. The result is a positive, life changing impact on our students and their families.
We are Calgary Academy. Are you?
About the Role:
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, the Comptroller oversees the accounting department, provides assistance on all financial-related tasks, and leads a team of three employees. A detail oriented big-picture thinker, the Comptroller will be responsible for monitoring general accounting practices, accounts payable processing, accounts receivable collection, tax compliance, and budgeting. Additionally, the Comptroller will develop and manage internal accounting controls, payroll, and financial reporting. As part of a dynamic leadership team, the Comptroller will collaborate with members of the organization for effective financial management.
While a passion for children and education is not a formal requirement for success in this role, it is strongly encouraged. We aren’t selling widgets; we are an organization working to change students’ lives for the better. This attitude guides our operation and decision-making process and is important to keep in mind when applying for this role.
Highlight of Key Responsibilities:
- · Provides leadership, manages, supports, motivates and prioritizes distribution of tasks within accounting group.
- · Develops and manages financial controls in accordance with the company’s procedures.
- · Creates new internal accounting corporate policies and process efficiencies and maintains existing policies
- · Takes initiative to implement improvements or alternatives by evaluating organization outcomes that align with the organization’s and department’s strategic plan that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- · Implements and monitors the month, quarter and year-end closeout accounting schedules.
- · Performs monthly, quarterly and annual accounting activities including coordination and completion of annual audits with Director of Finance and Corporate Services, and reviews financial reports as necessary.
- · Prepares monthly and quarterly detailed financial statements and accounting reports.
- · Monitors, analyzes and reports on financial status and performance including operating statement variances, communicating financial results to management and executive teams.
- · Leads budget preparation coordination and analysis.
- · Oversees tax reporting and abides by federal regulations.
- · Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- · Oversees the preparation of payroll for personnel and submission of all WCB and GST reports.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- · Strong budgeting, financial forecasting and financial analysis skills
- · Ability to work closely with a senior management team and capacity to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- · Proficiency in MS Office, with ability to learn new accounting software and payroll software quickly
- · Demonstrates positive, proactive, and solution-oriented approach to work
- · Previous experience in accounting within a school environment and knowledge of not-for-profit accounting (preferable but not required)
- · Additional experience in Audit
- · Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- · CPA certification, or an equivalent combination of related experience and education
- · Minimum 10 years accounting experience in a senior accounting or financial management role
- · 5+ years’ experience in an accounting leadership role
- · Positive outcome on a current criminal and vulnerable record check
We offer a competitive salary, benefit package and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply directly with covering letter, resume and three references by January 29 to:
Erika Bowley, Director of Human Resources
Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.