The Controller will be responsible for all accounting functions for the Master Franchisor for Canada (OTF Canada Inc. and OTF Distribution Inc.), and the corporate studios (14 open or in presale, another 1 in development, in Edmonton and Toronto). In addition, the controller will be a resource for accounting issues for the franchisees in Canada, and also manage the holding company Franvest Capital Partners Inc.
The Controller prepares the cash flow and financial statement activity, including full month end preparations, year-end working papers. The Controller is expected to assess and evaluate performance in several key operational areas, highlighting any areas of opportunity or concern, while combining equal parts of attention to detail with overall strategy. This position oversees the monitoring and adherence to budgets, manages cash flows, leads and implements projects, and develops and works collaboratively with diverse teams throughout the company. The Controller trouble shoots all accounting software problems in conjunction with the IT management group relating to franchisee billings, A/R collections, A/P, Payroll, G/L and Capital Asset ledgers and performs random internal audits on various departments, ensuring that a proper audit trails exist for all accounting transactions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide accurate and timely financial reports to stakeholders for individual and consolidated business units and complete special reports as requested (i.e. budgets, analysis, proposals)
- Support the company Officers with input relating to strategic planning to manage and implement changes in business practices or processes
- Ensure all financial obligations of the company are met in a timely manner (debt payments, financial covenants, payroll deadlines)
- Monitor and adhere to all legislated reporting regulations and requirements (Corp. tax returns and installment payments, T4’s and source deductions, GST returns
- Oversee the franchisee billing programs and oversee royalty billing runs on specified dates
- Manage payroll department for all payroll and labor relations matters, to meet all deadlines and legal reporting regulations
- Train and supervise the business reconciliation process for all studio cash and revenue transactions completing random audits on various product or service areas
- Act as contact/advisor for Mindbody Online and Quick Books on accounting methodology issues
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional accounting designation with several years of senior accounting experience post-designation
- Business Management certification or degree is also desired
- Several years of senior accounting experience in all functional areas including consolidations and experience in an office supervisory or management role
- Analytical, detail oriented as well as strategic global thinker
- Ability to multi-task and meet several deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Relationship Management
- Solid organizational skills
- Leadership skills a must
- Team player
- Travel is primarily local during the business day but may require travel outside of immediate area. Travel can be up to 5% of the time.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.