Manager, Enterprise Financial Systems
Each student, in keeping with his or her individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first. Learning is our central purpose. Public education serves the common good.
About the Department
Accounting and Finance includes all Accounting, Finance and Financial Business Management positions that work in schools or administrative sites.
Purpose and Accountability
The purpose of this position is to be a trusted business advisor responsible for planning, organizing and administering the operations of the CBE Enterprise Financial Systems. This position will ensure uptime reliability and data integrity to support the decision making process.
This position is responsible and accountable to the Director, Corporate Finance for the development and implementation of the strategic direction and goals for the Enterprise Financial Systems at Calgary Board of Education (CBE). In collaboration with the Senior Management in Finance/Technology Services and other business area leaders, creates the vision and long term plan for enterprise financial systems at the CBE. As a member of the leadership team, this position is accountable for:
- Performing Monitoring and Evaluating activities related to Financial Data.
- Ensuring that proper controls and related procedures are in place and are confirmed to be working and effective.
- Managing the financial records (in all formats including physical and electronic) consistent with the CBE's Classification and Retention Schedule and the Record Management Strategy and Timeline.
- Producing records for Audit and other purposes.
- Knowing and determining what records are being created, collection and similarly how they are to be maintained and managed.
- In collaboration with the Director, Corporate Finance and the CBE Technology Council develops the strategic direction and goals for the Enterprise Financial Systems consistent with organizational technology strategy and vision.
- Develops appropriate Key Performance Indicators [KPI] and operational performance measures for the service unit, including the identification, monitoring and reporting of these to assist in performance improvements.
- Provides stewardship and data governance to the CBE’s enterprise systems in financial reporting to ensure the integrity of the data.
- Reviews and assesses financial management trends which may affect other areas of operation.
- In conjunction with the Director of Corporate Finance, reviews and recommends changes in Board Policies and Administrative Regulations dealing with financial matters. Updates applicable corporate accounting policies, guidelines and procedures, as appropriate, for distribution to other service units/schools.
Business Relationship Management
- Collaborates with Finance and other business unit leadership to effectively follow and support an “Enterprise Governance Model” that leads to data integrity. Represents Finance/Technology Services on CBE’s Technology Council and other relevant committees.
- Coordinate the development of CBE’s financial systems architecture in partnership with IT Operations, Human Resources, and external technology consultants leveraging existing enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform and ’best-of-class’ vertical solutions to establish foundational technology infrastructure.
- Defines, assesses and evaluates stakeholders’ needs and develops an action plan to meet those needs.
- Oversees the implementation and monitoring of appropriate computerized systems for recording and controlling financial transactions including the integration of PeopleSoft and payroll data with Oracle e-Business Suite (EBS) (General Ledger Interface), and integrations of Oracle EBS G/L with Oracle Hyperion.
- Provides analytical and reporting support to stakeholders to enable financial and business decision-making Leads special projects and corporate initiatives.
- Manage budget, provide financial forecasts, track project milestones, and deliver expected return on investment on all initiatives.
- Co-ordinates activities on behalf of CBE with outside consultants (e.g. auditors, information systems consultants), as they pertain to enterprise financial systems.
- Plans, directs and oversees the training to school-based administrators, staff and service units on the enterprise financial systems.
- Ensure adequate security process is in place for the enterprise financial systems (user access).
- Manages the internal audit process and prepares relevant reports to senior management, audit committee, or Board of Trustees.
- Provides proactive leadership to staff in the Enterprise Financial Systems department.
- As a member of the management team, provides leadership in:
- Decision making
- Forward planning
- Establishment of goals and objectives
- Formulating policies and procedures
- Setting standards in the area of performance management
- Maintenance of internal and external contacts
- Selects or approves the appointment of staff for the department. Establishes standards of performance, directs staff training, evaluates and monitors an overall employee performance program. Provides leadership to the department to achieve results.
- Supervises and participates in goal setting and performance appraisal of team members, and encourages ongoing staff development. Reviews effectiveness of staff and of the section’s service levels provided to the organization and its stakeholders. Establishes and enforces standards, procedures and quality control measures.
- Prepares and manages the budget for the unit and all enterprise financial system projects, and report on progress.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) or equivalent accounting experience required.
- A minimum of ten years of successful professional and/or business experience, preferably as public administrator, which includes a minimum of five years in a supervisory or management role and a minimum of five years of professional experience in ERP Systems management.
- Strong project management, change management, and critical reasoning skills including ability to
- analyze complex facts or situations
- summarize the results in a logical and concise manner
- present solution recommendations along with pros and cons to senior management
- Business analysis experience is an asset.
- Experience with Hyperion, Oracle eBusiness, SIS, People Soft, and Archibus would be an asset
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- Strong organizational planning and leadership abilities with the ability to manage multiple large projects at the same time.
- Commitment to fostering collaborative working relationships; ability to create positive relationships to establish rapport and influence with various interest groups and stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills.
- Clear philosophy of leadership and management with strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of school system structure and functions.
- Strong conceptual thinking, critical thinking, analytical and research skills; ability to think systemically and globally.
- Strong orientation to timely and effective task completion; well-developed skills in organization and time management.
- Ethic of care, community orientation, personal integrity and trustworthiness
- Personal suitability.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
Be part of our success
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a team where your contribution makes a positive impact on the lives and learning of nearly 100,000 CBE students? The Calgary Board of Education is looking for great people to join our team. Our employees are highly valued and recognized, a career with the CBE offers incredible opportunities, rewards and supports.
Click www.cbe.ab.ca/Careers/ for more information on a career with the CBE.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLY ONLINE TO JOB OPENING ID 29089 AT WWW.CBE.AB.CA/CAREERS