The Operations Accountant is responsible for reviewing, reconciling, and maintaining a variety of accounting and financial data and information, including assisting with financial closings, forecasting, budgeting, and preparing a variety of reports for the operational team. This role reports into the Director of Finance predominately in support of the Oilsands Team.
- Ensures Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times.
- Assist in the month end, quarter and year end closes.
- Assist with the bi-weekly forecast.
- Assist with annual budget preparation.
- Support the operation team regarding revenues, expenses, prepaids, accruals, etc. and other journal entry or monthly questions that arise
- Prepare analyses of income statement accounts as required.
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries.
- Prepare reports to help management understand how the company is performing.
- Assist with Internal and External Audit requirements.
- Responsible for reading, comprehending, and following the applicable narratives pertaining to Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Responsible for reporting to supervisor potential control deficiencies noted, procedural changes that have occurred or may occur which may require update to SOX documentation, and for suggesting improvements to the financial control environment.
- Flexibility to assist in management Ad Hoc projects with time sensitive and high visibility requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree required, CPA designation (or near completion) preferred.
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Communication skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Able to prioritize between multiple tasks
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and proficiency in Windows based applications and Accounting Information systems
- Analytical and detail oriented
- Team player
- Self starter.
- Ability to manage complex worksheets to support accounting decisions
- Strong time management skills to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize workload
- Able to recognize and investigate unusual amounts on financial statements