Reporting to the Senior Manager of Financial Reporting, Corporate, and located at our head office in Calgary, the successful candidate will be results oriented and driven. The individual, as part of our corporate financial reporting team, will be responsible for the accounting and consolidation for the corporate division, including assisting in the preparation of the quarterly consolidated financial statements. The individual will also play a key role in the collection and analysis of internal and operational reporting metrics. The chosen candidate will be part of a professional, dynamic and engaged team within our corporate structure.
Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare the corporate consolidation for the Company’s twelve markets on a monthly and quarterly basis, including translation of the Company’s foreign operations.
- Ensure that corporate journal entries are prepared and reviewed and are recorded accurately and in a timely manner, while ensuring the company is in accordance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of the company’s monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting information.
- Prepare, consolidate and analyze monthly and quarter-end financial and operational information for senior management and our Board of Directors.
- Prepare internal and operational management reports and presentations.
- Assist in analysis of supplementary financial information.
- Assist in the accurate and timely preparation of the company’s quarterly and annual reporting to its parent company.
- Prepare and review quarterly financial packages required for public disclosure requirements.
- Assist in preparing information for capital markets and special projects.
- Assist in responding to auditor inquiries.
- Assist with the ongoing monitoring of the Company’s compliance with internal controls over financial reporting.
- Develop junior accounting staff through training, mentoring, decision making and monitoring.
- A recognized accounting designation (CPA).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in an accounting department of a public corporation or public practice. An equivalent mix of education and experience will be considered.
- Strong working knowledge of computerized accounting systems and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Practical experience and understanding of financial reporting requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Understanding of US GAAP and IFRS and other regulatory requirements with ability to apply to internal and external reports.
- Experience with operational accounting systems and reports considered an asset.
- Experience with advanced accounting concepts such as foreign exchange translation, deferred taxes, financial instruments, equity method of accounting, variable interest entities and consolidations is considered an asset.
Brookfield Residential offers a value driven culture that offers growth, a generous benefits package with flexible working environment, meaningful work activities and learning and development opportunities. We continually strive to be an employer of choice, through rewarding career and development opportunities and a culture based on corporate values and employee involvement. We nurture our employee talents by offering multiple career paths within the company. Our competitive compensation and benefits programs reflect what employees value the most, including opportunities to be challenged, an emphasis on work-life balance, flex days and an employer matching group RRSP program and a generous tuition assistance program.