Associate, Commodities & Thematic Energy Research, Institutional Equity Research
We’re on a mission to build the relationship-focused bank of the future and we’re looking for the passionate collaborators, innovators, advisors, and leaders who can get us there. Our distinct culture is built on a shared commitment to do what’s right for our clients, our people, and our communities, and we strive for excellence in everything we do. Because life at CIBC is not only what you do, but how you do it.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
The Capital Markets arm of CIBC provides corporate, government and institutional clients with innovative solutions to help them raise capital, and grow and invest actively throughout North America and key financial centres around the world. To deliver on its vision to be our clients’ preferred capital markets banking partner across multiple products and services, both in Canada and where our core competencies can be exported. The Capital Markets mission is to bring Canadian Capital Markets products to Canada and the rest of the world, and also bring the world to Canada.
The Equities team at CIBC Capital Markets understands what institutional investors value most: original ideas, top service and performance. Whether it's Bay Street or Wall Street, CIBC World Markets Inc. is there with the depth and breadth of product to advise on and execute the decisions of the investment community - anywhere in North America.
As a Commodities and Thematic Energy Research Associate the incumbent will work closely with our Calgary-based Energy Equity Research Team to help cover the Global and North American crude and natural gas markets.
How You’ll Succeed
Research – This will include providing regular tracking, scrubbing and analyzing of key commodity and other data that is used to: 1) shape our macro outlook; 2) calibrate our short- and- longer-term commodity price forecasts; and 3) highlight key themes and trends that we believe will have impacts on the energy sector. The successful applicant will also participate in regular thematic research projects that span the energy value chain. This will include work across the Canadian Large-cap E&Ps, Integrateds, SMID-Cap Producers, International E&Ps, and the Oilfield Services sector.
Client Focus - To be clear, this is not an entry level position. The individual will be required to have a solid understanding of the Canadian and global energy markets with a strong bias given to previous Energy Research Associates and/or candidates with relevant commodity or industry experience. In addition, although the role will be part of our Institutional Equity Research Team, the role will include exposure across CIBC Capital Markets, including selective exposure to our Economics, Macro Strategy, Portfolio Strategy, and Commodity Derivatives Teams.
Who You Are
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
- Education & Industry Experience. Preference is given to candidates who possess relevant experience and knowledge with the Canadian and Global Energy Markets with a strong bias given to previous Energy Research Associates and/or candidates with relevant commodity or industry work experience. Please include your cover letter and resume
- Technical Skills. High proficiency knowledge of PC applications - specifically Excel. Working knowledge of financial software (i.e. Bloomberg, FactSet) is an asset
- Collaborative. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with internal and external clients. Strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Detail Oriented. Excellent analytical and quantitative skills. Ability to work independently in a deadline oriented environment.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.email@example.com
- You need to be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
- Often required to work beyond normal business hours.
- Required to make frequent decisions in a fast paced work environment