Fund Accountant/Senior Financial Analyst
Who are we?
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Creating happiness and doing things other banks wouldn’t do. That’s ATB Investor Services.
ATB Investor Services (ATBIS) is the wealth management division of ATB Financial and consists of 4 entities, ATB Investment Management Inc. (ATBIM), ATB Securities Inc., ATB Insurance Advisors, and Alberta Private Clients. The ATBIS team has a passion for listening to the needs of their clients; a desire to develop trusting relationships through smart, simple and helpful investment advice; and a commitment to helping Albertans live the life they want to live. The ATBIS Finance team supports and consults to the business through the provision of financial and regulatory reporting, budget/forecasting & analysis, performance insights and investment fund administration.
What are we looking for?
We have a new and exciting opportunity for a finance professional to join the ATBIS Finance team. Reporting to the ATBIM CFO, the role works closely with the ATBIM CFO, ATBIS Finance, auditors and the third party provider that acts as fund accountant for ATBIM’s investment products.
Who are you?
Analytical. Detailed. Partner. Advisor. You are passionate about numbers and use your problem-solving skills to work creatively and implement smart, simple, and helpful solutions. You develop relationships easily with team members and leaders, and act as a trusted advisor on all things finance. You are a quick thinker, offering a balance of business savvy, natural curiosity and strong analytical capabilities. If this interests you, please read on.
Fund Accountant / Senior Financial Analyst
The Fund Accountant / Senior Financial Analyst will support the ATBIM CFO, developing and maintaining financial reporting and analysis on all aspects of the ATBIM business and the investment products that we offer. You will be expected to develop close working relationships with internal (Finance, Compliance, Operations) and external (Auditors, Custodian/Fund Accountant) partners. In addition, this role will contribute as part of the Business Finance team in the development of ATBIS budgets, forecasts, and variance analysis as well as reporting on the operational results of ATBIS business segments as required.
You will find success primarily based on your ability to:
- Support the ATBIM CFO through the semi-annual and annual fund audit reviews, including preparation of analysis to assist in risk disclosures included in the notes to the financial statements, MRFP’s, auditor requests and other regulatory reporting as required.
- Contribute to the monthly and quarterly preparation and review of ATBIM financial statements, including review and analysis to support the preparation of journal entries e.g. review of monthly investment management/trailer fees and other expenses processed on behalf of the ATBIM funds.
- Develop and improve controls to ensure adequate financial and operational oversight of the current, and any future, investment products we offer, e.g. daily NAV accuracy, controls over investment management and trailer fees.
- Develop Fund budgets and monitor/review actual vs budgeted expenses, as well as update forecasts along with recommendations on adjustments to administrative expense collection rates in order to minimize Fund subsidies.
- Provide oversight of fund accounting and trust accounting services provided by State Street, as the fund accountant of the investment products.
- Assist in the review of annual income and capital gains distributions and T3 filings.
- Assist in the building and maintaining of a ‘valuation framework’ to support and validate the valuation methodology for ‘difficult to value’ securities.
- Automation of processes such as revenue and expense journal entries, including the development and maintenance of procedures manual.
- Contribute to the Business Finance team in the preparation of monthly/quarterly management information reporting, variance analysis, budgeting and forecasting.
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- Minimum 5 years in financial/investment operations position in the investment industry required
- Specific experience from within an investment/wealth management, fund accounting (with a fund of fund structure), investment consulting or investment custodian environment highly desired
- Business degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA, CFA, MBA (or working towards designation with the appropriate experience)
- Experience within/of the audit of mutual funds preferred
- Investment operations experience preferred
- Familiarity with mutual fund services providers (e.g. custodians, transfer agents) highly desired
- Familiarity with tax reporting for mutual funds beneficial
- Superior analytical and financial management knowledge
- Knowledge of IFRS accounting principals and regulatory requirements of Canadian mutual funds
- Demonstrated success in development of strong working relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work autonomously in a distributed workforce
- Creativity in problem solving and ability to anticipate and identify business and regulatory issues a deliver creative solutions
- Demonstrated success/focus on continuous process improvement
- Knowledge of database structures or experience with database systems an asset
- Proficient with G-Suite tools (Sheets, Docs, Data Studio), advanced proficiency with Excel
- Quick thinker, business savvy, naturally curious and meticulous attention to detail and analytical
- Highly developed analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
So what can ATB Financial offer you? Imagine paying less for your everyday banking, mortgages, loans and investments. Throw in an excellent benefits and pension package, opportunities for career advancement, and a financial institution that’s leading the way in change – now you’re talking about a career with a company that allows you to grow. As an award-winning employer-of-choice – we have the best of the best working for Albertans. Sound like a team you want to be a part of?
To read our employer reviews visit our Glassdoor page.
Online applications only. ATB Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the high number of resumes we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Special conditions: Workplace 2.0.
Workplace 2.0 (WP 2.0) is about creating a strategy where team members are evaluated on performance not presence. We focus on increasing organizational performance while cultivating the right environment for people to manage all aspects of their life, including work.
The balance is between accountability and autonomy.
WP 2.0 is about:
- Providing the tools and technology that enables people to do their best work
- Providing work environments that support team member and team needs
- Providing more autonomy in the workplace to remove walls, barriers and hierarchies
Workplace arrangements are customized to ensure business and team member success. Work arrangement options could be a dedicated workspace in an ATB location or working from a variety of spaces within or outside of ATB locations, including home based.
Advancement. Fun. Rewards… We get it.
To learn more visit atb.com.